Chapter 28

Ever's P.O.V

I laid back against the metal posts of the bed and sighed. Jack shifted restlessly beside me and dropped his head into his hands. I fiddled with the buttons on my sweater akwardly, unable to help the situation. I finally got fed up with the stillness and stood up and began pacing the floor quietly. Jack still sat motionless on the cot, obviously deep in thought. I sighed again and looked down at myself. I was still covered in a layed of dirt and ash and a little blood. My tan sweater was tinged black and red and the dark blue buttons had turned a shade of grey from ash. My torn jeans were covered in a layer of filth as well. I walked over to the cot-side table and sat on the floor and stared at my reflection in awe. My light brown hair was matted and tinged with black. I sighed and worked it into a messy braid and stood up once again.

"Jack I can't take this anymore! I can't sit here helplessly while my friends are out there in possible danger! You never know if Roderick will decide to attack them," I rushed. Jack looked up at me and sighed.

"I know and I'm sorry but your just going to have to deal with it. I need to think of a plan to get you out of here before tomorrow night or all of this would have been for nothing," Jack stated as I sat down on the cot. I dropped my head into my hands and took a deep breath. "The continue your thinking.... I won't bother you again," I said quietly and stared down at the floor.

Dakota's P.O.V

I paced the floor helplessly and looked up at Damien. He had his head in his hands and was watching the floor, looking just as helpless as I felt. I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder reassuringly. He looked up and sighed.

"We can't do that to her Dakota.... I can't do that to her...," Damien muttered quietly. I simply nodded and turned to Rie. He was leaning against a concreate beam in the center of the room, his eyes downcast and his face void of any emotion. But I knew him better than that. I looked over at Angela who just grinned in return. I growled inwardly and walked over to Rie.

"We have to do it," He said instantly. I stared at him with more knowing then shock. I knew we had to do it. Damien knew it too. We just don't want to accept what has to be done. It's either let her get hurt or let her die. And letting our Ever die was not an option. Rie walked over to Isacc, who seemed to be mixing some herbs together, and spoke.

"Do it."

Ever's P.O.V

"Okay, I might have an idea!" said Jack as he jumped up from the makeshift bed and walked over to the spot in the floor where I was sitting. I looked up immediatly as he sat down on the floor in front of me. "Okay, so if we wait until the ceremony, I can help you make a break for it. It'll be risky but it's really the only chance we have." I nodded slowly and tried my best to hide me fear. So I have to go into the heart of this mess and just let everything happen around me and hope for a good opening to run? Jack seemed to readdmy thoughts.

"I know your scared but it's the only plan we have," He sighed.

"I know.... but I can't just sit there like that! It's not how I function. I can't just sit by and watch events unfold," I whispered. Jack frowned and laid his hand on my knee reassuringly. I shuddered at the thought of how the events of tomorrow night might unfold. I leaned back against the wall and took a deep breath. I squinted over at Jack who still had his hand on my knee. His eyes were downcast and he sat unmoving at my side. My mind wandered to Rie. I wandered what he was doing right now. Was he worrying about me? I entertained the thought of Rie being concerend about me for a moment before I shook my head as if to clear it. Why am I thinking about Rie? I should be thinking about Damien, shouldn't I? But I wasn't. My train of thought was locked on Rie. I thought of his black hair blowing in the wind and his bright forest green eyes glowing in the dark. I shivered and squeezed my eyes shut. I'm giving myself a headache.

"You alright?" Jack's voice ripped me from my reverie. I opened my eyes and looked over at him. He cocked his head and stared back at me. I nodded slowly and stood up, wincing at the sharp pain in my head. I walked slowly over to the cot but stopped mid-walk as another pain shot through my head. I grasped for the bed post but found that it was farther away then I thought. I collapsed to the ground and curled into a ball on the floor. My head burned like fire and my who body felt like I'd just been put through a meat grinder. I groaned and clutched my head. Jack rushed to my side and pulled me into his lap. He stroked my hair lightly and spoke with little panic in his voice.

"Ever, what's wrong?" Jack whispered. I squeezed my eyes shut and clung to Jack as tight as I could. I felt as if I was spiraling into darkness. I saw images flash across my mind. I saw a warehouse. I saw Damien with his head in his ands and Dakota kneeling at his side, his eyes on the floor. Then I saw Rie. He was runing through the woods with hiswings slightly unfurled, his eyes wild with longing and grief. Was this because of me? Were they all like this because of me? My question was never answered. I was consumed by darkness as I passed out.