Chapter 27

Damien's P.O.V

I sat at the table of the motel with my head in my hands. My mind buzzed with thoughts. Why hadn't I realized that Angela wasn't the real Ever? Ever is my mate! I should be able to tell these things shouldn't I? It was all my fault that Roderick had her. I should have been there. I should never have left. Everything is my-

I was ripped from my endless pool of self-loathing when the door swung open. Rie sat down on the motels very uncomfortable couch and huffed. "Angela is with Isaac and Dakota is off sulking somewhere." He informed. He shoved off this boots and slung himself across the couch, the springs moaning in protest. The light tan color of the couch made his hair look even more unnaturally black than it already was. He was smudged head to toe with ash and dried blood. He sighed again and craned his neck to look at me. His electric green eyes seemed to scream the pain and sadness that he was feeling. I felt confident assuming that my brown eyes mirrored the same look.

"How are we going to find her?" He said, his voice rough with emotion.

"I don't know," I sighed. It was the truth. I had no idea how we were going to find her. She could be anywhere. If I just had some time to think... I stood up slowly and mumbled, "I'm going to take a shower." Rie nodded silently, his eyes closed and his body relaxed. I stalked into the small bathroom and locked the door behind me.

I turned the the water as hot as I can get it and pull the plug that starts the shower. Then I glanced behind and saw that I forgot to grab the change of clothes I got from general store down the street. I opened the bathroom door just as Dakota burst into the room and yelled, "I know how to track Ever!"

Ever's P.O.V

I shoved the unappetizing food around my tray with my plastic fork. Jack sat in the corner and stared out my barred window. I dropped the tray onto the cot-side table with a muffled clang and sighed. Jack looked back at me and smirked.

"What? Don't like it?" He chuckled and nodded to the full tray. I rolled my eyes and stared up at the ceiling, carefully studying the cracks in the concrete roof. My mind wandered to my dad. I bet he didn't even realize I wasn't ever coming home. After my mothers death, I would often disappear for a month or two at a time, most likely at a friend or a relatives house. It took my mind off things.

He was so accustom to my disappearances that after a while, he stopped calling to see if I was alright. He just gave me my space and waited for my return. This weekend I had planned to go and see him, without announcing myself of course. I was going to tell him about my new life, about everything. Now he would never know....

"Ever?" I heard Jack call from across the cell. I looked over at him and saw that he was blurry. I was crying. I wiped my eyes with the sleeve of my sweater and sat up. I sighed irritably, "I hate crying in front of people."

Jack looked as if he wanted to come over and comfort me but he stayed where he was. "What were you thinking about?" He asked in a quiet voice.

"Why do you care?" I asked. "Why do you care if I cry or not? Your Roderick's minion. Your gonna help him kill me so he can get his mate back! So why do you care so much?" I said, quietly at first but my voice slowly rising towards the end.

Jack sighed. "Still haven't picked up on it yet, have you?" He asked quizzically.

"Picked up on what?" I inquired.

"The fact that I'm trying to help you. I'm going to get you out of here."

I cocked my head slightly and stared at him. "Your going to help me, huh? Or are you just trying to get me to trust you?"

Jack shoved his fingers through his thick dark brown hair and sighed. "Of course Damien is in love with a girl with trust issues. Not anything I wouldn't expect." As he said that name, I went ridged.

"You know Damien?"

"Of course I do. We trained together back in the day."

"And how do you know that he's my-," I said before Jack interrupted. "I can smell him on you," He said matter-of-factly.

"Does he know that your here? Helping me, I mean?"

"No, I can't contact him or it will obliterate Roderick's trust in my loyalty."

I pointed to the cut above my eye. "So this was just for show?"

"Oh yeah. Sorry about that by the way," He smiled.

Dakota's P.O.V

I raced down the street, Damien and Rie close at my heels. I turned the corner sharply, the street lamps illuminating my path. We finally reached a run down old warehouse and I bolted inside. My heart was pounding and my feet were screaming for me to slow down; I was running faster than even an average werewolf would. I skidded to a halt in front of an iron door and pricked my ears. I heard two sets of breathing coming from the other side, signaling that Isaac and Angela were inside. I lifted my hand to the doorknob but the door swung open before I touched it.

"Did you bring them?" Isaac said as he peered around me. Damien and Rie moved from the shadows and into Isaac's line of vision. He motioned for us to come in and we stumbled inside quickly.

"You might want to sit down," Isaac instructed. "I found a way to track her but non of you will like it." Angela grinned from her spot on the floor. The change-proof shackles that held her to the wall rattles loudly as she spoke, "I like it!" She laughed and glared at Rie. "I hope it kills you inside."