Chapter 33

Ever's P.O.V.

The man tilted his head at me, his eyes wide. "No," He whispered and turned on my mother, who had just unfrozen him.

"What did you do?!" He screamed.

My mother threw her head back and laughed. "I simply removed you from her life. Your bond, her memories of you, all gone."

She turned to Rie, whos face was twisted in terror. She laughed again and waved a hand at him. "Don't worry. She still remembers you."

"Mom," I whispered. "What happened to you?"

My mother turned to me and put a hand on my cheek. "I died dear. Death changes people."

She strode over to Roderick, who put his arm around her waist with a smile on his face. She wiggled her fingers at me and smiled wickedly. "I'll see you around dear," She trilled, snapping her fingers and her and Roderick blinked out of sight.

I shook my head and stumbled and Rie rushed to my side. He pulled me into his arms and wove his fingers through my hair. We sat that way for a moment then I pulled away and faced the other boy. He had an expression of horror on his face and he leaned against a pole of support.

"Ever," He whispered and stepped towards me, his hand extended. He grabbed my hand and I jumped back with a yelp. A burning sensation ripped through my head and I shook my head to clear the pain.

I stood my ground and tilted my head. "Who are you and how do you know my name?" I asked him.

He shook his head in shock and stopped in his tracks. He fell to his knees and curled in on himself. I rushed to his side and placed a hand on his back but he pushed me away.

"Don't touch me!" He shouted and a stumbled back. Rie dashed infront of me and glared at the boy.

"Damien you have to get it together! I can see if Isaac can fix this," Rie pleaded.

"Even if he could, Cassandra broke our bond! She wouldn't be my mate anymore! She'd just go back to hating me," He yelled and pounded his fists on the ground in frustraion.

"That doesn't mean you can hurt her! Look at her! She's already scared enough!" Rie shouted.

"He's right," Jack said, appearing at Rie's side. "There is no excuse for this."

The boy Rie had called Damien rose to his feet slowly and nodded. "I need to go. I can't be around her," He spat and jumped into the air, shifting into a wolf and bolting into the forest.

I shook my head and turned to Rie, my eyes burning. "I don't know him so why did that hurt?" I asked quietly.

Rie stared at me, a faint look of shock on his face. "Your eyes," He said quietly.

"My what?" I asked.

I looked at Jack in confusion and found that he had the same look of shock on his face that Rie did.

"We'll explain later," Jack said, shaking his head."Right now we need to go."

"No," I said and walked over to Dakota's body slowly. "We have to bury him," I croaked out.

Jack walked over and picked up his body gently, giving me a short nod.

"Let's go," Said Rie and he grabbed my hand. I nodded quickly and let him lead me home.

Jack, Rie, and I stood infront of the burned down pack house with a solem look stretch across each of our faces. Rie had dug a hole in the ash covered from yard and Jack lowered Dakota's body into it carefully. We each took a handful of dirt and stood over the grave, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Dakota. You were my best friend. You were kind, you were wise, and you were caring. I-" I choked and held my hand to my mouth, stiffling a sob. Rie put his hand on my back and I sniffled and straightened up. "I love you Dakota. Rest easy. Good bye. You will be missed," I sobbed and threw the handful of dirt into the grave. I wrapped my arms around Rie as he spoke his goodbye.

"Good bye Dakota. You were a great friend to me and I thank you for that. Your sacrfice was noble and brave. Farwell my brother," He said quietly and dumped his dirt into the hole. Jack was the last to go. He didn't know Dakota so he said a few words about how his sacrfice wasn't in vain and that he was  soldier. Jack poured the dirt from his hands into the grave and grabbed a shovel, begining to finish up filling the grave.

I burried my face into Rie's chest and cried while he rubbed my back an whispered reassuring words in my ear to calm me down. He pulled me away from him and brushed his thumb across my cheek.

"I know something that'll take your mind off everything," He smiled lightly.

"What's that?" I sniffled.

"Just hold on to me and you'll find out," He smired. I wrapped my arms around his stomach and he held on to me, unfurling tawny his wings.

"Ready?" He asked me.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I said shakily. He smirked and beat his wings fast, lifting us off the ground. I took a sharp breath as we flew above the tree tops. I could see everything from here. We flew up to cloud level and I laughed, dragging my hands across their surface. We stayed in the air for a while before we landed back infront of the pack house ruins. Rie sat me down gently and we unraveled ourselves from each other.

"How was your flight?" Jack asked, walking over to me with an eyebrow raised and a smirk on his face.

I snorted and tilted my head. "Very fun, thanks for asking."

"My pleasure," He said and I stuck my tounge out at him. I turned my attention back to the pack house and sighed.

"Where do I go now?" I asked myself quietly.

"You can come and live with me if you'd like," Offered Rie.

"You have a place?" I asked in awe.

"Of course I do!" He laughed.

"Well then, offer accepted," I smiled and he grinned at me.

"What about that guy? Uh... Damien! That's his name. What about him?" I asked, frowning.

"He'll be fine. He just needs some time, alright?" He said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Alright. Now it's about time you fill me in on my Mom's mind trick thing," I demaded. Rie and Jack explained the whole thing about Damien being my mate and how my mother had taken that away and also that my eyes changed when Damien had touched me. Now, One of them was its usual hazel while the other had changed to a bright, clear gold.

I shook my head in disbelief. "Poor Damien," I sighed and raked my hand through my hair. An image flashed across my mind at that moment; And image of Damien and I kissing. I shook my head and heaved another sigh. How was I going to untangle this mess?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi guys! Sorry for taking a while to update! I've got a bad case of writers block. But anyway, please comment and vote if you like the story! There are only a few chapters left that a plan to write so comment if you want a sequel!

Thanks for reading!

(Also, if you like this story, check out my other story Falling Fast!)