Part 5

I see Loki at the dining hall with Thor, Sif, and the warriors three. I grab a plate and walk over sitting across from him and next to Fandral. Fandral puts him arm around my shoulder and starts boasting to the others of my "brave act" of saving the child at the training grounds. I try to tell them it was nothing, just a small injury, but my eyes meet Loki's from across the table to see him staring at me. My oppositions started to soften and eventually Fandral gets his way and keeps telling the others of my "good acts".

I try not to stare back, but I see Loki's gaze shifting from my eyes to the arm around my shoulders, I can't help but start to wonder "... Is he jealous?" I've never seen Loki jealous, well, not for romantic reasons, anyways. Of course I've seen him jealous of his brother.

I've seen him jealous of Thor so many times. More times than I can count, he'd be trying to talk at diner and Thor would open the door talking, not noticing Loki was trying to say something. Everyone immediately becoming more invested in Thor than they were in Loki. But romance is something else entirely. Loki has never told me of any romantic feelings toward anyone.

I feel no need to be at the dinner table anymore and excuse myself, Fandral's arm leaving my shoulders immediately. After I exit the hall I hear soft footsteps behind me and look over my shoulder to see Loki. "Loki?" I question wondering why he followed me.

"I wanted to escort you to your chambers." He say coming up next to me taking my arm in his.

I had moved to the palace when the king made me his main advisor seeing that I could be of use. I had been to several meetings, because my father was training me to be an advisor as he is and the king was very impressed. After a few years of this Odin made me his most trusted advisor.

"Oh, well, thank you," I mutter and take him arm, we walk the rest of the way to my room quietly.

When we get to my room I look at him and start to say good night but the way he's looking at me make the words die on my lips. After a moment he takes my hand softly. His eyes never once leaving mine as he rubs the back of my hand with his thumb. I appreciate how slowly he does this, if I had been unwilling I could've easily pulled it away.

The slow circles he's burning into my skin slow and stop suddenly as he takes his hand away. He starts to walk away looking as if he's in a trance. "Good night, Amril," He says softly and turns around leaving me to my thoughts. I don't wish him good night as I can't think of anything to say.

I stand outside my door staring at the floor, my hand still burning from his touch as I watch him walk down the corridor. I slowly walk into my room feeling confused. No I know what this mean, I can't fool myself. Loki has never treated anyone this way, not even me.

I lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling contemplating the day. Everything that's happened with Loki. I obviously can't deny that my feelings for him are different than my feelings for everyone else. I can't put them in a box because they're confusing even to me. I just don't think that I can acknowledge them. I want to deny them even to myself. I need to. He is the son of the man I serve. I toss and turn until it's dawn.

I watch the rising sun from my bed and feel the changes already taking place. I find it odd how nothing has changed for hundreds of years and then one action no matter how small changes everything. I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad change. But it most definitely different.

Loki and I can barely look at each other, but anytime we're in the same room we're both trying so hard not to stare at each other, not that it works. Every time we're alone we talk less than we used to and sit or stand as closer than we ever have. After a few months of this, Odin announces that he plans to make Thor his heir.

All hell broke loose. Of course this was expected from everyone, but Loki, on the other hand storms out of the room. I quickly congratulate Thor and run after Loki trying to catch up with his longer legs. I have to jog slightly to stay next to him. I take his hand and he slows down, but clearly has no intention of stopping here.

When we get to the library he closes the large doors and grabs me into a bone crushing hug, which I have to stand on my tip toes to properly receive. I wrap my arms around him and bury my head into the crook of his neck. "I'm sorry. I know you've been wanting this for a very long time," I whisper. Even after everything that's happened he's still my best friend and will be forever, no matter what.

"I'm sorry," He says clearly trying not to let me know he's crying, but failing miserably. Hugs are either a great way to show affection... or a great way to hide one's face. I let him hide because that's what he wishes to do.

"Loki, why are you apologizing, you haven't done nothing wrong?" I asks baffled still embracing him.

"You deserve better. You deserve a king, I wanted so much to be that for you," He confesses. I feel confliction come rising to the surface but I push it down thinking that I need to think about what's best for him.

I step out of his embrace and hold his forearms. I stare at him baffled that I was his reason "I don't need any of that, Loki. I don't need, nor do I want that. I am happy just being able to stand by your side every day. That's all I could ever want. You are enough and you always will be," I reassure him. He sighs and thanks me, pulling my forehead against his. We stay like this for an eternity just taking in each other's presence.

The next night I tell him I want to show him something beautiful. "You mean a mirror?" He asks jokingly running a hand through his hair.

I scoff and jokingly swat at his arm "No, you vain man," I say with a smile. "Come with me," I pull him out into the gardens and make him stand in front of some flowers.

"Incredible, plants," he says sarcastically.

I laugh and say "Wait for it," As if on cue the flower opens and starts to glow a strange blue. Loki's face lights up and stares at it. For the rest of the night we speculate about the science about what makes it glow like that, instead of going to the library and actually seeing how it glows. We are both far too content in this moment to move to go inside.