Stay Alive Part 3

After the fight I receive my marching orders from Odin and realize that I will be put into one of the best regimens in the army. They're known for their stealth on missions and when they are a part of a battle that needs more than them they are usually on the front line completely mowing down the enemies.

I join them tomorrow, apparently they've been here on break for a week and they go back out tomorrow. I can't help but wonder why Odin wanted me there. Was I because he knew I would have competent people watching my back, or was it because he knew that I'm good enough to be on such a good team? I hope it's because I'm strong enough, but either way I'm just thankful to be out of here.

I pile my plate full of sugary and other food that is bad for you. In the battlefield our rations will be only things to keep us healthy and strong enough to fight the enemy. The only time for such treats is when you're celebrating.

Strangers sit next to me talking about how incredible my fight was and we talk of past battles. Seems to be the only thing that most Asgardians bond over, past fights and the glory of battle. That's one of the many things that set Loki apart from the people here, that's one of the reasons I fell for him. I shake my head trying to clear my thoughts of him.

Even the thought of him still causes my heart to ache. I see Odin and the memory of Loki finding out that he was a frost giant filled my mind. Suddenly I remember about how he said that he wasn't alone in not being from this world and how Frigga said that it had something to do with my birthmark.

I excuse myself from the dining hall and wonder as if lost into the library. I know I have to figure out where I'm really from. I see the table in the far back and I think of how we would sit there and research random things as if we were great scholars. "Snap out of it, Amril. You're here to figure things out not reminisce," I whisper to myself.

I start to scan the shelves and start to pull books about symbols out and setting them on a table I picked making sure to not sit at the one that we used to sit at. I see several ones about lotus flowers and sigh, knowing that this will take a lot longer than just tonight to find out. Well at least I'll have something to keep me busy when I have time off from battles.

I call for a servant. When she arrives I give her a pencil and paper and ask her to draw my birthmark. I turn around and she slowly gets to work. It takes her about five minutes before showing me her work. I thank her before dismissing her back to her work. I'll need this paper for reference when looking to see if it matches any of the ones I see.

I look at out the window and realize just how late it is as most of Asgard has already went to sleep and the festivities seem to be close to an end. I write the names of the books on a scrap of paper and go back to my room. I fall asleep the moment after my head hits the pillow and fall into a dreamless sleep.

I wake up to a maid telling me that the king expects me and the rest of my garrison in his throne room in an hour. I thank her and she leaves me to my thoughts. There several things I can say about my king but at least he gives people time to wake up before they're expected to be seen.

I drag myself out of bed and to the shower. I collect my thoughts as the hot water make me wish I was back in bed. While drying my hair I glance out the window to see that the first day's light is barely breaking through the darkness. There are so little people awake that it makes me jealous of their unconsciousness. I magically transform into my fighting leathers. I manually braid my hair knowing that I have time for it.

I look at myself in the mirror "I've gone through so much to get here. I may not be happy right now, however I will be one day," I whisper to my reflection. Judging from the look on her face I don't think she buys what I'm saying, but it's the only thing I can believe in right now.

I look around my room realizing it will probably be awhile until I see it again. I feel a tug in my chest to open a drawer and curiosity over takes my so I walk over to the night stand I don't really use. I open the bottom drawer and take a deep breathe trying to contain my emotions at what I see.

On one of our trips to earth a random street vendor begged us to let him draw us. He said that he had never seen a more beautiful couple, we tried to tell him that we weren't together but he wouldn't listen to us. I let out a breathy laugh at this memory. I stare at the paper, at us looking at each other and smiling. It looks so candid that one would never think that the man had carefully positioned us that way.

I grab and carefully stuff it into one of the pouches on my belt. I have to jog to make up for the time I lost while reminiscing. I open the door to see a four men standing before Odin. They glance at me when I enter, but quickly turn their attention back to our king. I start to make my way over to stand next to them in their little line and when I get about halfway there I hear the door open behind me.

I look behind me to see another woman who is quickly walking to where everyone is standing. I walk at my normal pace and we wind up reaching the others at around the same time I stand to at the right side of the line. She stands next to me like it's the most natural thing in the world.

Odin starts to say our names and as he says our names we fall to our knees to bow to him. "Bjorn," Odin says starting at the left of our little line. Bjorn seems to be about a foot taller than me, his beard and belly that reminds me of Volstagg's. He has black hair which lies halfway down his back in a braid, brown eyes and a scar running from his left side of his forehead, over his eye, and ends right below his lips. He has such a serious look on his face one would think that we're attending a funeral.

"Calder," Odin speaks again causing the man to kneel before the king. Calder is about the height of Thor and has such pale blonde hair that is rivals my own which reaches just above his shoulder blades. His eyes are a frosty blue. He's muscular and has wide shoulder that speak of his strength. He also has a serious look in his eyes and I'm starting to wonder if that's the whole theme of this team. Until that is Odin speaks the name of the next man causing my eyes to drift to him.

"Einar," He's a string bean of a man, thin and taller than me but not as tall as Bjorn or Calder. His curly hair is a ginger color and is short for an Asgardian, he has a smattering of freckles covering his body, and friendly blue eyes. When he kneels before Odin he looks at me for a split second to send me a wink along with a grin. If I wasn't standing before my king I might've laughed.

"Frode," I look at him and he reminds me of Hogun. Not in the way he looks, his skin is too dark to look like Hogun, but in the way he carries himself. Like he has seen some of the universes secrets and if you get close enough to him, he just might tell you some of them. He looks like a fierce warrior. He has black hair that reaches his shoulders and brown eyes.

"Amril," My name finally is called by the All-father and I kneel down swiftly and gracefully, feeling the eyes of everyone in the room on me. After a moment he speak the name of the girl next to me "Eliina," I look to my right as she kneels next to me.

Her name doesn't come from Old Norse like themajority of Asgardians, hers is from some old Midgardian languages, Finnish andGreek if I'm not mistaken. She has black hair that reaches hair that slightlypast her shoulder blades, her skin is dark than Frode's. She also has a seriouslook in her eyes but the way she carries herself says that she's at ease. I wonder what sort of person she is, I guess I'll find out soon enough.