Stay Alive Part 28

"Our lives," Thor asks gravely and after a moment he stands. I follow him in standing and can't help but feel that something is off. "Father, I cannot be king of Asgard. I will protect Asgard and the realms with my last and every breath, but I cannot do so from that chair. Loki for all his grave imbalance, understood rule as I know I will never."

I close my eyes for a moment to let the pain of hearing his name wash through me and I open my eyes feeling more determined. "The brutality, the sacrifice... it changes you. I'd rather be a good man than a great king."

"Is this my son I hear, or the woman he loves?" Odin asks. The way he asks this, it's so calm. There's no judgment, there's no anger in his voice. The feeling of something not being right grows bigger, but I school my face into a calm demeanor that I'm sure they buy.

"When you speak, do I never hear Mother's voice?" Thor asks in return smiling sadly. He sigh and continues "This is not for Jane, Father. She does not know what I came here to say. Now, forbid me to see her, or say she can rule at my side. It changes nothing."

Odin sits down and I can't help but notice that in all the time I have been his adviser Odin has never sat that way on the throne. It looks too cocky. "One son who wanted the throne too much, another who will not take it. Is this my legacy?"

"Loki died in honor," Thor gently argues and my chest fills with pride at him defending our "fallen" loved one. "I shall try to live the same, is that not legacy enough?"

A pause and then Odin glances at Mjolnir. Thor looks down and offer it back to his father without hesitation. "It belongs to you," Odin sighs. "If you are worthy of it."

"I shall try to be," Thor promises.

"I cannot give you my blessing, nor can I wish you good fortune."

"I know," Thor whispers and starts to leave.

"If I were proud of the man my son had become, even that, I could not say," Odin says causing Thor to stop and look back at him. "It would speak only from my heart. Go, my son."

Thor smiles "Thank you, Father," He says and starts to leave. He looks back at me confused as I had not moved to follow him.

"I will be there in a moment, brother," I say smiling reassuringly and nod for him to keep moving.

Once he is out of earshot I turn back to Odin, who asks "What is it you wish to speak to me about?"

"How did you get here?" I ask rather bluntly crossing my arms.

Odin pauses giving me a calculating look and asks "What do you mean, child?"

"Really, 'child?' Odin has never been so kind. Nor do you have the same mannerisms that he does, you don't even sit in the chair the same way he does. So I will ask you again, how did you get here?" I say and put my hand on the dagger at my waist belt.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Could it be your fallen Loki could be the reason for this-"

"Don't think me so naive... Loki," I sigh crossing my arm. I walk up the steps until we're face to face. "So, how did you get here?"

"Odin's" eyes widen in surprise and Loki reveals himself. "A guard was sent to look for my body and I disguised myself as him, took his ship, so now here I am," He says flourishing his hands at the end.

A/N:

(Made after completion of the 2nd book)

What a wild ride, thanks for sticking with it for so long. Like I said a few chapters ago I'm going my own direction from here and I'm not going to follow Ragnarok or make one that follows it. Look out for the third book which I'll begin posting on April 1rst (and no this isn't a prank... or is it?)

I'm going to start posting a new Fanfiction soon so if you like this I'd suggest following me so you can see the next one as soon as I start posting it. I might be making a schedule change soon because of the fact I'll be posting two books at once so be on the lookout for that. I hope you guys like Legolas!