18

CH. 18 -- PATRICK

Pushing Pete away is my first reaction. "What the fuck?" I ask him, and his mouth drops open as he gasps.

"I'm-I'm sorry." Pete says as he takes a step back. "I'm so sorry, Patrick."

Pete steps in behind Travie and in front of Josh in the line to hit the other team's hands. I somehow manage to walk to the end of the line and hit their hands before I'm being pulled to the visiting locker room by Brent.

"So I saw what happened." Brent says as he gets me to lay down. As he begins to pull the soaked cotton balls out of my nose, he continues to talk. "Why'd you pull away?"

"What do you mean? I pulled away because I don't want to kiss Pete, Brent." I tell him as he gets a wet towel to wipe the dried blood from my face.

"Sure you don't." He says simply as he shakes his head. "You might can fool yourself, but you aren't fooling anyone else, Patrick."

"Brent, what are you talking about? I don't like Pete." I say seriously, and he rolls his eyes.

"And I'm not the best doctor you've ever met." Brent says, and I give him a confused look. "What? I thought we were stating things that were clearly false."

"Shut up." I say, and he just shakes his head. "I don't like Pete." I repeat.

"You telling me or yourself that?" Brent asks as he puts a piece of white tape across Patrick's nose. "Keep that on there. All I can do to hold it in place. If it starts bleeding again, the first thing you need to do is text me."

"That's it? Anything else I need to do?" I ask as I sit up. Brent raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah, talk to Pete." Brent says, and I roll my eyes automatically.

"I meant about my nose, asshole."

"Nope. Just get some rest. After you, you know." Brent says as he makes an obscene gesture with his hands. I groan at that as I grab my shorts and long sleeve shirt to change into. "Just saying, I'm sure it would cool both of you down after tonight!" Brent calls out to me, laughing when I groan again.

After changing, I return back to the now empty locker room and grab my stuff as I head out to the bus that is taking us to our hotel room. I put my hat back on as I get close.

"Hey, good game, man!" A guy from the other team says as I walk by him. I stop when he says my name, turning around to face him.

"Hey, thanks, dude." I turn around to see a tall guy with black hair and brown eyes.

"I'm Gabe. I play first base." Gabe says, and he shoots me a pretty, pretty smile. Damn.

"I'm Patrick. It's really nice to meet you." I hold out my hand, and Gabe takes it, holding on a little longer than I would've thought. "You know, I really have to go. But could I get your number? For, uh, sportsmanship purposes?" I say with a wink, and Gabe laughs as he nods.

I hand him my phone, and he puts his number in before handing it back. "Call me sometime."

"Trust me, I will." I say before waving a goodbye as I get on the bus. A bunch of cat calls erupt as I walk up the steps.

"Look at our boy with the cute first baseman." Ryan yells out, and I roll my eyes before flipping him off.

"Shut the fuck up." I laugh as I plop down in my seat next to Spencer. My eyes drift to Pete, who is sitting in front of me with his headphones on, eyes staying forward.

He kissed me. He fucking kissed me. He risked ruining everything we have together by kissing me.

"Great game, man." Spencer claps me on the back, pulling me out of my thoughts. I smile at him.

"You did good too, Mr. I play second, but I can catch a ball if I need to." I joke with him, and he hits my arm playfully.

"So not a lot of us saw Pete kiss you, but I did. What happened there?" Spencer asks, and I can tell he just cares about Pete and I.

"Heat of the moment thing. He didn't really mean it." I say, and Spencer nods, even though I know he doesn't buy it.

"Sure, we'll go with that." Spencer says, but he doesn't say anything else. I just take a deep breath and keep my eyes forward as I pull out my phone.

I shoot Gabe a text that says 'hey' right as we get to the hotel. Everyone crowds off the bus, and when I finally get off, Spencer is waiting for me at the door. We go to our room, which is on the fifth floor. It is conveniently next to William and Ryan's room.

Spencer gets in the shower when we get there, and I go down the hall to see Brent. "It hurts," is all I say as he opens the door.

"Here." He walks off, leaving his door open and me standing there. I follow him in, and damn, his room is much nicer than mine.

"What the fuck? Why is your room so nice?" I ask, and he shrugs.

"Doctor's privileges, I guess." Brent says as he tosses me a bottle of Ibuprofen. "Take four of those every six hours. Ice your nose when you get out of the shower."

"Okay, thanks." I let his door close behind me as I go back to mine. Spencer is dressed when I get back. "Where are you going?" I ask, and he points to the wall we share with Will and Ryan.

"Next door. I'll be back later." He tells me, and I nod.

When I get out of the shower, I see that I have a text from Gabe, which brings a smile to my face. I decide to pull on my boxers and sweatpants before texting him back.

Before I can actually text him back, however, someone knocks on the door. When I open it, the person I least expect to be standing there is there.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, and I want to slam the door in his face, but something in me can't.

who's at the door?

guess you'll find out next chapter!

any guesses?