41

CH. 41 -- PETE

"I'm sorry, Coach. It was a stupid mistake. I miss being on this team more than anything on the world." Patrick says, and Ben's eyes widen as he nods.

"You can't let it happen again, Patrick. What kind of coach would I be if I let one player not put in the same amount of work as the others and still play?" Coach tells us, and Patrick just nods, dropping his head.

"It won't happen again, I promise." Patrick assures him, squeezing my hand as he talks as if he's promising me he won't leave me again either.

"Welcome back to the team, son. You're going to have to put in some extra work. Bryar will be starting catcher until you prove to me that you really want this." Coach says, and Patrick just nods.

"I figured. I won't let you down again, Coach." Patrick manages a smile before the both of us leave Coach's office.

We walk hand in hand through campus, Patrick shooting me sly smiles when he thinks I'm not looking. "What?" I finally ask, and he just smiles.

"You're so beautiful, inside and out. I honestly don't know how I got so lucky." Patrick tells me, bring out joined hands to his mouth and kissing the back of mine.

I feel my cheeks heat up in response. "You're such a sap. I love you."

"And I love you, baby." We reach my dorm room, and immediately, Patrick falls to the couch and gets comfortable before opening his arms as an invitation. I can't resist him. One can only be so strong.

"I swear to god, you guys are an old married couple." Joe says when he sees Patrick and I cuddling on the couch. I'm playing with my necklace - the one he gave me - as it hangs around my neck, and Patrick is swiping his thumb across my tattoo with his initials on it.

"Basically." Patrick says in response, pulling me in closer to him and burying his face in the back of my neck.

"I'm gonna go throw up really quick. You guys are too sweet." Andy says from behind Joe, and Patrick huffs a breath of laughter into my neck.

"Tell me you love me." Patrick whispers when they leave, and I shiver from his breath tickling my neck before doing what he asked.

"I love you." I say, squeezing his hand that rests on my stomach.

"I'll never get tired of hearing that." Patrick says, kissing my temple. He looks at the time on his phone before smiling at me and sitting up. "I'll be back here in an hour. Get dressed. I have a surprise for you."

Before I can ask any questions, he's out the door. Well, shit.

--

I end up in black skinny jeans, a short sleeve button up, Vans, and a Polo hat placed backwards over my hair. The hour flies by after I get dressed, and Patrick is knocking on my door before I know it.

"Hello, beautiful." He greets me with a kiss to my lips, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the door.

"What's up, baby? Where are we going?" I ask as we walk, and he just smiles at me and shakes his head.

"You'll see," is all he will say. We walk around campus for a few minutes, just talking. Patrick stops walking after checking his watch. "You ready?"

"Once again, ready for what?" I ask, and Patrick just smirks at me, digging something out from his back pocket. He shows me a blindfold, and I laugh. "Didn't know you were kinky."

"Shut up, and put the blindfold on." Patrick grumbles, flashing me a smile before tying the blindfold around my eyes.

Patrick's body is pushed to mine from behind, holding my hands and guiding me forward. "Put your hands on me, Jack." I quote, and Patrick smacks my arm lightly.

"Shut up, Pete." Patrick says, and we both laugh as we continue to walk. "We're here." He says a few minutes later, taking the blindfold off of me.

My eyes adjust to the sudden light, even though it's getting dark, to see the field. My eyes furrow until I see a blanket on the ground in the grass between the pitcher's mound and the plate.

"Patrick?" I ask, and he just smiles at me, leading me to the blanket. He sits down and grabs my hand, pulling me down with him.

"You know, I feel like both of us needed a reality check. What better place to go than the place we met?" Patrick asks, looking at the sky and then back at me. "You hungry?" Patrick asks, and I nod, so he grabs his phone and sends a text to someone.

A few minutes later, Spencer and Dallon come from out of nowhere with two plates in their hands. "Dinner is served." Dallon says with a smile.

"PB&J's?" I ask unbelievably, laughing. Patrick nods.

"First meal we ever had together. Remember?" Patrick asks, and I don't, but I nod anyways.

"This is great. Going back in time." I say, and he smiles at me when he swallows his bite. By the time we finish, it's dark.

Patrick grabs his plate and mine and moves them to the side before lying down to look at the stars. I follow seconds later, lying my head on his chest.

"I love you." He says, pulling me closer to him. I smile, even though he can't see me.

"And I love you." I say in response. He leans up, taking me with him.

"I have something for you." Patrick says suddenly, reaching into his pocket. He pulls a black box out, and I know my eyes widen as I feel a lump forming in my throat. "I know that, technically, you aren't supposed to do this until six months, but fuck it, our five months is rapidly approaching, we've been through a ton of shit together, and I love you more than anything."

"Patrick.." I trail off. He can't seriously be doing what I think he's about to do. He stands up, grabbing my hand and making me do the same before dropping down on a knee.

"Before you actually freak out, it's not an engagement ring. It's a promise ring." He flips the box open, and I see a simple silver ring with a few diamonds on it. "A promise to always be by your side, no matter what either of us is going through. A promise that our tattoos will always mean something to me, and I'll never get mine covered up or removed. A promise that I'll love you until I die." Patrick pauses to give me a shaky smile. "So, Pete, do you promise to always love me?"

ahaha soooo patrick just made a promise to love pete until he died

what will pete say? any guesses?

thx 4 reading !!