28

CH. 28 -- PATRICK

"I have to go, but I one hundred percent meant what I said." I say after Pete stays silent for a while.

I figured he wouldn't say it back, but I didn't say it for that reason. I said it because I meant it and because I can't seem to get him out of my mind. Everytime I think of him, I get butterflies in my stomach and hearts in my eyes. Even after all these years.

I change my train of thought to focus on my father, dialling his number and hitting call before I can change my mind. "Son." His deep voice comes across the phone, and I swallow.

"I'm gay. One hundred percent gay. I'm also in love. With Pete. You can either accept me or not, I don't care. But I can't change, and even if I could, I wouldn't. Pete treats me better than anyone ever will." I rush out, and my father keeps his mouth shut until I finish.

"Is that all?" He asks, and I nod before realising he cannot see me.

"Yes, sir." I say, and he begins to laugh.

"Patrick, I knew that. Your mother and I both knew that. Even in high school. Why do you think I wouldn't accept you?" My father asks, and my eyebrows furrow.

"Right before I left to catch my flight, I told you I was gay, and then I ran off. You texted me a few days later and said you were disappointed and that you should cut my allowance off." I say, and he laughs yet again.

"Baby, I meant I was disappointed and that I should cut your allowance off because you didn't say goodbye. It was a joke. I don't hate you because you're gay. I don't hate you at all. I could never, you're my favourite son." My dad says, and it's like a huge weight is being lifted off of my shoulders at that.

"You really don't care?" I ask, and my father calls me crazy and says of course not. "Good. I'm coming out to the public today. I'm proud of who I am. I shouldn't have to hide it."

"I agree. Your mother and I will be behind you the whole way, standing up for our baby boy." My father says, and I sigh in relief.

"Why didn't you say anything when I said I was dating Elisa?" I ask, and my father laughs again.

"I will always support you, son. No matter who you are. I wasn't going to mention you telling us you were gay because I thought maybe you had changed your mind. But it doesn't matter to me because you are who you are." He explains. I feel like I'm going to cry. Happy tears, of course.

"Thank you, Dad. I'm going to call Pete." I say, and my father stops me from hanging up after that.

"Have you told him?" He asks, and my eyebrows furrow. I stay silent, so he continues. "That you're in love with him, I mean."

"I told him I loved him but not that I was in love with him." I say, and my father sighs.

"Tell him quickly, son. You never know how much time you have until it's almost up." My father says, but before I can ask about it, he changes the subject. "I love you so much, Patrick. Go to Pete now."

"I love you too, Dad. I will. And thank you." I hang up after that and immediately push the bizarre conversation out of my head.

I have things to do before our game tonight.

--

"Remember, deny, deny, deny." Coach reminds us right before Pete and I are pushed into the crowd of reporters. Sure, Pete can do that, but I won't.

I point to one of the reporters with his hand up, and he stands. "I have a question for Pete." I then turn to look at Pete, who looks very uncomfortable. "How is this season going compared to your former ones?"

Pete visibly relaxes and smiles. "Very well. I wasn't expecting it, actually. Turns out things can go a lot differently with a new catcher." The man just nods and sits back down, and I point at another reporter, a woman this time.

"Patrick, care to make a comment on the articles released recently regarding you and two of your fellow teammates, Pete Wentz and Nick Scimeca?" She asks, and my eyes widen. Jumping right in on my questions. Since when was Nick brought into this?

"Uh, sure, yeah. I wasn't aware that I was being tied to Nick as well as Pete, but yeah, that's not true. Pete and Nick are both very much straight, and nothing is going on between me and either of them." I explain, and the woman nods. Pete points to another lady.

"Patrick, any statements regarding your sexuality? I noticed you didn't mention yourself when talking about the other two's sexualities." She asks. I take a deep breath. This is it.

"Yeah, actually. Pete and Nick might be straight, but I'm gay. One hundred percent gay. And I'm tired of hiding who I am. Unlike other people, I can't just bury this side of my life away and pretend like it's not there. This is me, publicly announcing that I'm extremely gay and very in love with Pete Wentz." I say, and gasps echo all around the room, including Coach and Brent. "However, he does not reciprocate those feelings. So, yeah, go ahead and insult me, call me what you want, but I'm tired of hiding who I really am."

The room breaks out into applause after that, and my eyes widen. I hear mumbles of the word 'inspiration' going around the room.

"Patrick, how does it feel to be the first openly gay college baseball player?" The same woman asks, and I just smile.

"Pretty fucking great."

oh shit y'all patrick just started a shit storm

get ready for a lot of hate and shit and some love i guess

thx 4 reading i'm gonna go stick my hand in a bucket of ice