31

CH. 31 -- PATRICK

"You know, I didn't really realise how much I missed this place until I came back." I say, and I hear Pete laugh into my ear.

"Hello to you too, sunshine. Where are you?" He asks, and I look around the dimly lit terminal I'm walking out of until I get into the almost empty airport.

"Just got to O'Hare. I'll probably call a cab in a few. Might go for some pizza before heading home." I explain, and Pete just hums in response.

"Call me tonight? I miss you." Pete asks, and I smile.

"Of course. I miss you too." I say, and even though I've been gone for literally less than twelve hours, I truly mean it. I can imagine the dorky smile on his face right now. "Hey, I love you."

"I love you." Pete says, and honestly, I doubt I'll ever get tired of hearing that. We don't say much more afterwards, and I end the call a few minutes later, finding the exit I normally go in and out of when I fly here.

The taxi I called for isn't here yet, so I just admire the semi-far away city lights for about six point two seconds before the wind hits me full force. Well, they don't call it the fucking Windy City for nothing.

I end up pulling the lapels of my jacket together tighter than before, seeking heat. It doesn't help much, but it does keep me satisfied until my taxi pulls up.

The guy drives me to my parents' house, but after I get out, he won't take my money. "You.. you look familiar." He says, and I roll my eyes, handing him the money. "No really."

"I get that a lot." I say, and he smiles before a look of what can only be recognition crosses his face.

"The baseball player. The gay one! You look like him." The guy smiles like he finally figured out where ships go when they disappear into the Bermuda Triangle or something.

"Nah, not him. Nice to meet you. And thanks for the ride!" I wave as I walk away, and he finally gives up, shouting a 'goodbye' as he drives off.

I knock on the door twice, and my mother's mouth drops open when she sees me, pulling me in for a hug. I can tell she's been crying, and I relate to that more than she knows. But I won't let myself cry here. I have to be strong for both of them.

"Baby, what are you doing here so early? You weren't scheduled to fly out for another week!" She exclaims, ushering me in the door.

"Talked to Coach and got a few weeks off. I wanted to be here when.." I trail off then, and she just nods abruptly.

"Well, you know him. He's in his man cave." My mother fakes a smile, pushing me towards the room that used to be her arts and crafts room until she gave that up a few years back. "Kevin and Megan are flying out in a few days."

I nod as I give her a tight lipped smile before walking to my father's favourite room in the house. I knock before entering, and he turns and faces me. He already looks so much worse than when I last saw him a few months ago.

"Dad." I say, and I clench my jaw and blink a few times to get the tears forming in my eyes to go away.

"Hey, buddy, what are you doing here?" He asks, and he gets up slowly and crosses the room, hugging me.. well, not very tightly.

"You know why I'm here. Why we're all going to be here." I say, swallowing the lump forming in my throat.

"Oh yes. That. I figured your mother would tell you soon enough." Dad just looks at his feet when he lets me go, and I shake my head.

"Why? Why didn't you tell me?" I demand, and he looks back up at me, a few tears running down his face.

"Because I wanted you to go to Washington. I knew you loved him, Patrick. I also knew that if I told you about my condition, you would've stayed here." He explains, and before I can say anything, he stops me. "When I'm gone, you deserve to be happy. I want you to be happy. With Pete. I'll hate not walking you down the aisle and not watching your kids grow up."

"Stop it." I wipe my eyes before any tears can escape.

"You really are my favourite son, Patrick." My father ruffles my hair, lightening the mood. I half-heartedly laugh.

"That's only because Kevin threw that big party when he was seventeen and I was fourteen." I say, and Dad laughs.

"Maybe. And you don't have any tattoos." Dad says, but then he narrows his eyes at me. "You don't have any tattoos, right?"

"Me? No. Pete? Yes." I say, and we both share another laugh.

"I'm glad you're with him, Patrick. I can tell how happy he makes you." Which, okay, understatement of the year. "And when people finally pull their heads out of their asses and legalise gay marriage, take a picture of you and Pete in front of a pride flag and put it next to my tombstone, okay?"

I lose it then, breaking my promise not to cry, and I've only been here for half an hour. My dad just shakes his head, pulling me back into his arms.

"I love you, Dad. So much." I mumble, and he squeezes me a bit tighter in response before he begins to cry too.

"I love you more than you'll ever know, Patrick. Always remember that. And I'll always be here for you, too. Wherever you are, I'll be." He says, and I just nod. "Do you still have that baseball cross with your mother and I's initials on it?"

I pull it out of my shirt, and his eyes light up. "I never take it off." I say honestly, and my dad just smiles at me before pulling me back into a hug.

I can't express how much I'm going to miss him.

okay so great this is becoming very sad very quickly

next chap is when the guys are going to show up to the funeral probably

update: it's the chap after that

also i might publish a new story soon that's like peterick/wentzman/wentzley and you guys are gonna pick who pete ends up w so let me know if u'd be interested in that

thanks for reading