37

CH. 37 -- PATRICK

I can't do this anymore. I promise I'll explain this all later, but we can't be together. Right now at least.

As soon as I send the message to Pete, I hand my phone to the guy in Verizon that changes my number for me. This is a shitty way to do things, but I'm just doing what's best for Pete.

He hands my phone back to me and smiles. "Have a nice day."

"You too." I mumble as I head for the door. Someone stops when they recognise me, calling my name. "Yeah?" I turn around to face the guy probably a few years older than me.

"I just wanted to say that you're an inspiration." He smiles, and on instinct, I smile back. "I'm Adam Siska, but you can call me Sisky."

"Thanks, man. I'm Patrick." I hold my hand out, and he takes it.

"I'm actually a friend of Bill Beckett." Adam explains, and my mouth forms in an 'o' shape as I nod.

"You been out to see us play since I've been on the team?" I ask. We take a seat on one of the benches outside as we continue to talk.

"I caught the games at UC Riverside. The school you're considering." Adam says, almost accusingly. I immediately feel bad. "Why are you leaving Washington?"

"I want a fresh start." I say after a long pause. Adam looks at me expectantly, waiting for me to continue. "I basically ruined my pitcher's life. He's always going to be seen as that guy that dated the gay catcher."

"But you and the rest of the team have such good chemistry on the field." Adam tries, but I just shake my head.

"I don't even know if I want to play baseball anymore, Sisky." I say, and his eyes widen. I take a deep breath. "This is crazy. I'm confessing everything to a guy I barely know on a bench in front of a Verizon, where I just changed my number so my ex boyfriend can't get a hold to me."

Adam laughs, putting a hand on my shoulder. "You're going to be great in anything you do, Patrick Stump."

Sisky and I ended up trading numbers and then maybe making out in my backseat and rubbing off on each other for about an hour. Even though he barely touched me, I got off within seconds because it's been so long since anyone other than myself has made me come.

I feel semi-bad for it afterwards because I just broke up with Pete, but Adam is hot and has a great personality. And it's not like I'll ever date Adam. It was just pent-up frustration and sexual tension all in one.

I think about what Adam said to me for a while after that. "Baseball doesn't have to be who you always are. If you're not doing something you love, what the fuck is the point in doing it?" He'd said, grinning at me afterwards.

Maybe he's right.

--

"Pa- you're- what the-" Spencer can't seem to finish any of his sentences. I place a hand over his mouth before he gets anyone else's attention.

"I quit baseball. At least for this year. I already talked to Coach. He told me that I'd always have a spot on the team, and he knew that shit happens." I explain quickly, and Spencer's eyes widen.

"You can't be serious." He says, voice muffled by my hand. "You've been playing baseball since you were three, Patrick!" He hisses quietly when I remove my hand. I shrug in response.

"I'm so fucking tired of it, Spence. It's just not something I enjoy anymore.." I trail off, scratching the back of my neck.

"Does Pete know you're here?" Spencer asks, crossing his arms. I shake my head.

"No. And I want to keep it that way for a little while at least." I say, and Spencer sighs, dropping his head.

"So what are you going to do with all of your free time now?" Spencer asks, lifting his head to look me in the eyes.

"You know, as crazy as it sounds, I think I'm going to try singing. Maybe I'll put a few covers on YouTube or something, I don't know." I say, smiling to myself. Singing makes me happy.

Spencer's eyes widen, but he smiles back at me, squeezing my shoulder. "If anyone could do it, it's you." Before I can reply, his phone begins ringing. He pulls it out of his pocket and mutters an, "Oh fuck," as he answers it. "Hey, Pete. Yeah I'm free to talk."

"You never saw me." I mouth, and he just gives me a thumbs up, heading back inside his dorm as I turn around.

I have so much freedom now. I've never not played baseball in my life. Even when Pete graduated, I still worked on drills everyday for two years.

I take my phone out of my pocket and dial the number I have saved for Nick. "Hello?" He answers on the first ring.

"Hey." I say, continuing my walk back to the dorm room Dallon and I share.

"..Patrick?" He says after a long pause. I laugh immediately, and he begins to curse at me. "You fucker, what the fuck are you doing with a New Mexico area code? And where the hell have you been? Scratch that, where the hell are you?"

"Calm down. One, save my number. I'll trust you to not give it to Pete. Two, I changed it to get away from him. I need a break. Three, I was in Nevada for Spring Break, and I'm currently back on campus right now." I say, and he gasps.

"You're here? Why?"

"Because I'm staying." I say, and I hear him sigh in relief. "I'm not playing baseball."

"What the fuck." It isn't a question this time. It's a demanding statement.

"I don't want to anymore. Don't tell Pete you've talked to me. I just figured you'd want to know that I haven't gone completely AWOL yet." I explain, and I hear Nick mumble something under his breath.

"Completely is the keyword here." Is what I think he said. So I laugh.

It feels good to be back on campus and close to some of my favourite people. And I know this time that what I'm doing will actually make me happy.

so patrick's real reasons for quitting baseball haven't exactly been revealed yet but it will come soon enough

what does everyone think is going to happen next ??

vote & comment pls