Chapter 1

I remember being confused. 

Confused at the beginning of what was suppose to define us; define me. 

They say high school is the place where you find your true friends, your one desire, maybe even the one you love.

When I think of the words "high school", jocks, cheerleaders, and basically every typical high school movie known to man comes to mind.

As cliché as it sounds, it is about the most narcissistic things; popularity, sports, cliques, couples, and parties.

Five words that basically sum up this crazy ass four year journey. Four years of your life that sadly contain all those things, unless you're one of those teenagers who find it completely useless to do any of those things, like students who are always engrossed in their work, outcasts who don't really damn, or people who really don't care about being popular, being a clique, or just about high school in general.

But that's pretty much my take on it.

High school to me is a place where young adolescents get caught up with useless things that will never help them in life. It is a place where naïve girls think they will find their one true love, get married later on, and have a happily ever after. 

Well no, that is not what happens to teenage girls in high school. The girls will fall in love; the boy will take advantage of her, and then dump her the next day. 

I know, I know, sounds so grossly cliché, but as hard as it is to admit, it's pretty much accurate in schools like mine. I'm aware that I sound like your living and breathing "angsty" girl who gives no care for anyone in the world - I'm actually far from it, but that's a whole different explanation.

Anyways, back on topic, I'm just glad my brother wasn't one of those guys who'd do something so cruel to an innocent girl.

Speaking of my older brother, Cameron Simmons, he's a jock, but not your typical one. He's said to be the face of the senior class, and girls basically fall to his feet everyday, not literally of course, although I've seen it happen a couple of times. The girls here are weird.

But he isn't one of those self-centered jocks who care about themselves or who their next victim might be. Cameron was sometimes full of himself, had a huge ego, and can get any girl to drop whatever she's doing and follow him like a lost puppy, but he actually does care about people like his best friend or his family.

I think that's why no one really bothers or notices his freak of a little sister, also known as me.

Cam had a lot "followers", and no not just on Instagram or Twitter, but also in our school. He always had a full table at lunch, groups of people trying to approach him in the halls, eager seat stealers in class trying to get next to him, and that's only in the senior class.

"Alex!" A familiar voice calls out, breaking my train of thought.

Looking up from where I had been staring absentmindedly into space, I saw one of my best friends, Lillian Hathaway, stepping up the bleachers, heading towards where I was sitting. And not too far from the football field might I add, which was currently being occupied by the school's football team, who were practicing for their next game on Friday. 

"Hey Lil," I greeted her with a smile.

She plopped down next to me, letting out a huff of air, "I've been looking for you everywhere."

"Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you that I had to stay after school to wait for Cam. That's what sucks about having an older brother to share a car with." I replied, glancing down at the field to see the team in a huddle, probably wrapping up their practice.