Chapter 28

“Alex, you’re shaking the car,” Jayce said in a parental tone.

I glanced at him, and noticed my leg bouncing up and down due to my nervousness to go to school. Jayce was currently driving the both of us to school. So yes, last night we did, D.T.R, determine the relationship. And as of 8:47pm, we were officially together, well we didn’t necessarily use the boyfriend/girlfriend terms, but we did agree on wanting to go out with each other.

This morning he had surprised me by picking me up for school, making sure I knew that from now on, he’d pick me up for school or any other necessary things we could go to together.

I hadn’t told Cameron, or my parents about this newly found relationship because of one thing, fear. Fear of not knowing how they’ll react, fear of not knowing what they’ll say or do. Cameron was the one person who I was mostly afraid of telling because him and Jayce don’t exactly have the best friendship.

But as of now, the first people who will actually know of Jayce and I’s relationship were the entire student body of Hartwell High School.

“Sorry,” I apologized, “I’m just –“

“Nervous,” He said for me, stopping at a stoplight.

I let out a shaky breath, “Yeah, I just, – I’m scared.”

He placed his hand on my shaking leg, halting it from moving, “You don’t have to be nervous, people at our school announce their new relationships all the time, some more than others, which isn’t very good. Yeah, some people in our school are whores.”

I laughed, easing the tension in my body a little, “I’m not going to argue with that, but this is different Jayce. This is a relationship between the school’s popular boy and his stalker.”

The light turned green, and he pressed on the gas, “Alex, you have to let that go.”

“Already forgotten,” I muttered in response. 

Five minutes hadn’t even passed, and we were already pulling into the parking lot, filled with the students just arriving, or lingering in the front waiting for class to start. My instincts got the best of me as I pulled my hood over my head, and slipped on a pair of sunglasses from Jayce’s overhead compartment. As he parked the car, he took one glance and me and laughed, “What are you doing?”

“Being incognito,” I replied nonchalantly. “Now let’s go.”

I was surprised he didn’t argue with me as he reluctantly got out of the car the same time I did. Heads were turned towards us as Jayce and I walked side by side towards the front of the school.

Whispers started going around like a freakin’ cold as everyone wondered whom this mysterious girl Jayce Reynolds accompanied. I got dirty looks and stares everywhere I looked. Dirty glares from girls and puzzled looks from the guys. Jayce stopped right in front of his group of friends, which included Miles and Quinn. Glancing at Miles, he had a smug smirk on his face, staring right back at me.

Crap, he knows it’s me.

Well if anyone at this school really actually knew me, they’d recognize that it was me. I was wearing a pair of gray skinny jeans, a white v-neck, and my black zip-up jacket from American Apparel.

Ok, well now that I think of it, I could appear as anyone else.

“Who’s the new rebound Jayce?” Miles questioned, smiling bright at his friend.

“You certainly move on fast,” Quinn chimed in, looking me up and down.

I kept my head down, ready to flee from here, when I felt a strong grasp on my hand. I looked down to see Jayce clutching it, probably trying to prevent me from escaping.