Chapter 12

I could honestly cut the tension in this room with a knife.

A sharp ass knife.

Is this how dinners are going to be from now until the day I move out?

The sound of our utensils occasionally hitting against our porcelain plates, that were currently filled with alfredo pasta and garlic bread, filled the room. I couldn't help but fight a smile whenever Cameron would purposely make a slurping sound while eating the noodles. It was obvious he did this just to piss of our parents, who by the way were still on their one word a day basis with us. 

Obviously I was exaggerating, but it sure felt like it. 

Although, this was unusual, our parents never really had the time to just come down to the dinner table for at least 30 minutes to have a nice family dinner with us. And if they ever decided to actually eat with Cameron and I, it'd be filled with silence. I was saddened by the fact that this was how things were going to be from now on. It reminded me of the time when I was 11, and I had just learned how to cook microwave mac and cheese and to a little girl that was a huge accomplishment.

Well to me at least.

Dressed in my mom's old apron, I had set up the dining table with placemats, a bouquet of flowers, and with the correct sets of utensils by the nicest paper plates I could find.

Yes, I used paper plates.

Cameron refused to let me touch the fine china in our cabinet, which was currently collecting dust at the moment. But here's how it went, first I called my parents down. They came against their own will, scowling down at my pathetic display of dinner, criticized me on my "lack of creativity", then strolled back up the stairs, leaving me disappointed and with a very angry 12 year old Cameron.

"So this is nice huh," Cameron said once he finished shoveling down a fork of noodles, "A family eating together in total silence. This is definitely what I look forward to at the end of my day. I bet Alex feels the same, since you know we're kind of used to having these good ol' family dinners."

The sarcasm from his voice could be detected from miles away.

"Your play on words is not needed Cameron." Our father said with a stern look, averting back towards the phone in his hand.

Cameron scoffed, "Since when did I care about your opinion?"

Our mother sent him a cold glance, "Without your fathers opinion, he wouldn't be the best lawyer in the state, along side of me of course."

"Following up your mothers statement, without my opinion I wouldn't have a well paying job which happens to fund all your schooling activities, food on the table, the clothes you wear, and the roof over your head. So if I were you, I'd watch that mouth of yours son." Our father chimed in.

"Stop talking to me like I'm one of your clients," He snapped, "I'd rather be poor and have loving parents, than have the life I have now. And that says a lot."

His words seemed to offend them, a look of concern showed on their face. "Cameron, I think it's time for you to go to your room. Your father and I cannot deal with any of your ridiculous thoughts at the moment."  She said, dismissing him from the table.

"Mom, you can't just-"

She held up a hand interrupting me, but before she could speak, Cameron beat her to it, "Whatever."

Heading up the stairs, I heard him mutter something along the lines of, "You guys will never change."

Since Cameron has been banished from the dining room, I decided that it was time for me to leave as well. I picked up my plate, having the intention to place it in the sink, when my fathers voice halted me, "And where do you think you're going Alexandria?"