Chapter 21

Heading home was awkward. Once again, I waited for Cameron after school during his football practice. The car ride home was filled with fifteen minutes of awkward silences and the clearing of throats, and to make it even worse, J.C tagged along since he had some assignments to work on with Cam due the next day. Not one word was spoken the entire time, well besides to each other. They spoke as if I wasn't even in the car.

As we came to a stop in my driveway, not waiting for Cam to stop the engine, I opened the door and rushed out of the car, slamming the door in the process. I dug my hand into my band, finding the house key, using it to open the front door. Stomping up the stairs, I grumbled to myself about how annoying those two idiots were acting. Call me bratty, call me childish, call me immature, but I was pissed at them, my brother especially. J.C technically never said anything, but he was going along with the whole charade in the car.

I entered my bedroom, slamming the door shut behind me.

Who did he think he was to tell me what I could and could not do? He goes to parties, he drinks alcohol, he gets high, maybe even more! I did all those things once, let me emphasize this, ONCE. In the past 17 years of my life, I have never done a single thing wrong, and the one time I actually let loose, out of all people, my older brother  scolds me for it.

Needing to get my mind off of this, I decided to call Colton. On the first few rings, there was no answer. It was about to go to voicemail, when he picked up, "Hello?" His voice sounding nervous and anxious.

"Hey, are you busy right now?" I questioned, mentally hoping he was free.

He was a bit hesitant with his answer, "Uh, yes and no. Why?"

My eyebrows furrowed, "I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out, like I said at lunch, I have a lot on my mind, and I just need to clear my head. It's fine if you're busy, I'll just call-"

"No," He stated, "Meet me on the front porch in two minutes. I have to make a stop first, but after we could do whatever."

I grinned, "Alright, see you."

Placing my phone in my pocket, I stepped out of my room, and descended down the stairs. J.C and Cameron occupied the living room, a project board covering the whole coffee table.

I was about to walk out the door, when his voice stopped me, "Where do you think you're going?"

Rolling my eyes, I turned around and simply stated, "Out."

"Out where?" Cam interrogated.

"Out to get drunk and high!" I exclaimed sarcastically.

He glared at me, "Don't be such a smartass."

"We're just trying protect you Alex," J.C chimed in.

"From what? You guys did the exact same thing I did, what's the difference between us?"

"For one you're younger than us-"

"By a year," I interrupted.

"And two, you're my little sister, I worry about you. Getting into things like that isn't good."

Getting sick and tired of what he was saying, I turned back around, heading out the door, "I'm done with your bullshit lectures, I'll be back in a few hours."

Colton was where he said he was, on his front porch. I noticed a bouquet of flowers in his hand - how weird.

"Who are the flowers for?" I asked curiously.

He pursed his lips, "My dad."

My mouth was slightly agape. A realization hit me on what today's date was.