Chapter 6

Let me just start off by saying thank you, thank you to my protective older brother, Cameron James Simmons, for ruining a perfectly good moment between Jayce and I. In the middle of our heart-to-heart talk, my phone decides to go off about a hundred times. You see, my phone had been next to my thigh so I couldn't have misplaced it. But ever since Jayce had scooted closer to me, it got wedged between the both of us, causing the vibration to be felt by both Jayce and I.

"You should probably answer your phone." He said with an amusing smile. He handed the device to me, and I snatched it without a second thought.

Sliding it to unlock the screen, I answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Where the hell are you?!" Cam's voice screeched through the phone, which I'm sure Jayce heard.

I took a deep breath and replied, "I-I told you, I was going to get-"

"Groceries, I know. But what I didn't know is that it would take you over 3 hours to get those so called groceries. Now, tell me the truth, where are you?"

I felt really bad for lying to Cam, but if I told him I was with Jayce, he'd probably track us down and throw Jayce in the lake, with a rock chained around his ankles.

I averted my eyes towards Jayce, silently asking him what I should do. He ran his hand through his hair, probably thinking of yet another lie to tell Cameron. Suddenly, his face lit up as if he had an idea. He mouthed to me, "Lillian."

I quickly nodded, "Uh, I didn't get to buy those groceries because I ran into Lil, at Target, and she just needed me for something so I went over to her house. Time must've went by so quickly, I didn't get a chance to tell you, sorry."

"We should probably start heading out." Jayce whispered.

I agreed, while putting the phone on speaker, as we swiftly started making our way through the forest yet again.

I heard Cam sigh, "I worry about you Alex, and I know that you said you didn't want me to, but can you blame me? This morning I come into school seeing you being cornered by a bunch of idiots. And when you didn't come home after 3 hours, I honestly thought that they did something to you – they did something to you so bad that you weren't able to ask for help."

Jayce looked back towards me, with an expression of regret.

"Cam, I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. You don't have to worry about bullies who have nothing better to do." I muttered the last few words on behalf of Jayce.

Talking on the phone, while also dodging branches and other things on the ground was more difficult than I thought. Thank God I had the phone on speaker in my pocket, because if I had to hold that thing the whole way to the car, it would've been more of a challenge.

He continued on his little rant, "It just makes me sick knowing that some people can act so fake towards me, but a completely different way around you. Now that they've shown their true colors towards you, my thoughts about them have quickly turned around. I know the truth now; they were just faking being nice to you to get to me, to get on my good side. And that's why I worry about you Alex, because I don't know if people are just nice to you to get to me."

I rolled my eyes, even though he couldn't see me, "Not everything is about you Cam. Anyways, I got to go. Lil's mom is giving me a ride home, so don't wait up."

"Okay, I'll see you in a few. Oh, and our parents have business clients over, so by their request, you have to go through the back door. Even though I waltzed right through the front. It's whatever, just get here right away." With that, he hung up.

And at that same moment, Jayce and I had arrived at his car, which was parked in an empty parking lot. We both got into the car silently.

Starting the engine, Jayce spoke, "So, that was some phone call."