Chapter 30

Rushing across the hall, I kicked my door shut, causing my room to tremble.

"What's going on up there?!" I heard my mother shout from their office downstairs.

"Nothing anyone in this family would care about!" I yelled back.

My family had to be the most dysfunctional group of people that ever-stepped foot onto this planet. I used to think only my parents were the inconsiderate ones, but I guess now my brother is too.

I plopped down on my bed, and my eyes seemed to land on a picture frame, with a photo of Cameron and I. Out of my own anger, I placed the frame facing down, to remind myself that I don't need to see my idiot of a brothers face every time I walk into my room.

I heard the sound of vibrations coming from my bag, which happened to be my phone. Unzipping the small pocket from my bag, I grabbed the phone to see that Jayce was calling.

"What do you want?" I said a bit harshly, due to the fact that I was still pissed.

He chuckled on the other line, "Woah, might want to take the stick out of your ass Alex."

I sighed, letting out some steam, "I'm sorry, I just - my brother is, we got into a fight."

There was a slight pause on the line, "Was the fight about me?"

"Uh, well it started off being about you, then it just shifted over into another topics," I confessed. Again, there was another pause, but before he had the chance to say anything, I beat him to it, "But don't make this little spat with my brother give you second thoughts, I really like you, and I don't want you to think that just because my brother hates the idea of us doesn't mean that -"

"We're going to go on a date," He interrupted.

I glanced at my phone, as if it were Jayce, "Wh-what?"

"We're going to go on a date," He said more slowly, like he was speaking to some child.

"And you expect me to say yes to that?"

"Well, you do like me, and I just so happen to like you as well, so I'm guessing you'd agree to this."

I stifled a laugh, "Ok, when and where?"

"I don't know," He replied.

"You don't know?"

"Yup, maybe it'll be tonight, tomorrow, in two weeks, you'll never know," I could just picture the smug look on his face.

A grin broke out onto my face, "Someone's too full of himself."

At that moment, my door opened, revealing - my mom?

I shot her a confused look, "Jayce, I'll talk to you tomorrow. I have to go."

Not giving him the chance to reply, I hung up, and tossed my phone aside, looking at the woman at my doorway, "Can I help you?"

Instead of answering me, she came in with no invitation and closed the door behind her, "Is there something bothering you?"

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "Why do you ask? It's not like you ever cared anyways."

"I just want to help, for once sweetheart," She said, with guilt in her eyes.

Sweetheart?

I muttered back a response, "I don't need help from anyone, especially from anyone in this family."

All anyone did in this family was leave each other. That's what my parents did to me, and now my brother. I don't exactly blame him for giving me the cold shoulder, but the least he could do is still be there for me.