Chapter 3

You know that feeling where you have to wake up for school, your alarm goes off, yet you stay in your bed with your eyes closed, just hoping that some miracle could happened that'll get the school day cancelled. But sadly that never happens. There's always that one person or thing that annoys you so much that you actually have to get out of bed.

And that person for me was, yeah you guessed it, my pain in the ass brother.

"Alex, Alex, Alex, Alex, Alex." Every time he spoke my name, he'd give me a slight nudge on my shoulder. Although I was fully awake, I just had to savor a few more moments of complete darkness. Although, I do thank the Lord for making the day Friday exist.

He huffed and probably ran a hand over his face due to his frustration, "Alexandria Elizabeth Simmons, get your ass out of bed right now or else I won't drive you to school and you'll have to walk five miles."

I sighed, getting up from my position on my messy bed. Cam was still in his pajamas, basketball shorts and unfortunately shirtless. I grimaced, "The first thing I don't want to see in the morning is my older brother shirtless, can you please cover up?"

He rolled his eyes, ruffling my hair at the top of my hair, "Get dressed Alex, we have fifteen minutes." He then walked out of my room, probably to get ready as well.

I quickly brushed my teeth, and brushed my hair. Okay, to be honest, I actually really cared about what my hair looked like at school. I'm not going to lie and say that I didn't care what people thought about me, especially when it came to how I looked. As long as my hair didn't look like a bird's nest, I was fine. 

Walking out of the bathroom, I hurriedly made a wardrobe change, throwing on jeans, a black sweater, and some old sneakers that used to be white but now resemble a soft of grey-ish color. 

I grabbed my bag, phone, and made sure to take my copy of "A Tale of Two Cities" then made my way down the stairs to see my parents eating breakfast on the kitchen table, whilst having their briefcases practically chained to their legs. Their jobs were their pride and joy, nothing got in the way between them. I'm surprised my mom and dad could even sleep in the same bed without needing any of their law firm paperwork next to them.

Cam was in the kitchen as well, but my parents were so oblivious to the fact that he was literally right behind them, making toast.

I stepped foot into the kitchen, hearing them mutter something amongst a "good morning." I came up next to Cam, he handed me a piece of buttered toast and grabbed onto my upper arm, leading both of us out of the silence infested room. We headed outside and made our way into his car.

I knew he was mad, more likely pissed. I knew the way Cam felt. See, the thing was that Cam used to be really close to our dad, even more than our mom. They went on trips together, saw movies together, had those father-to-son talks; they practically did everything together. But that was all when Cam was 8 and I was 7, ten years ago.

Then our parents got a big promotion in their law firm, they were the best lawyers in the state of California. We moved to a bigger house and our parents got caught up with their work. As little kids, Cam and I knew they had a lot of work to do, but what really made him snap was four years after our move. He was fed up with how dad kept ignoring us, so as an 12-year boy, Cam dragged me along with him to our parents' office. I could remember that moment like it was yesterday. Some pretty messed up things occurred on that day that I just could not forget.

 "Cam where are we going?" I whined as he dragged me by my wrists up the stairs. His face looked angry, I've never seen him like this before. For a little boy he always seemed so mad, not at me though. He looked like as if he was angry at everything else. He led me towards our parents' office, which we were forbidden to ever go into.