Chapter 15

"Oh, I didn't know that you had a guest over," She said, realizing that I was standing next to Jayce, with a face full of flour.

I could only imagine what we looked like as of right now.

My cheeks heated up, and I looked at the ground sheepishly, "I'm really sorry about the mess, Mrs. Reynolds."

A smile lit up on her face, as she waved her hand dismissively, "Not a problem dear, I'll just make Jayce clean it up later."

She mischievously smiled at her son, who looked dumbfounded, "But mom, that's really unfair."

She raised her eyebrows at him, giving him a scolding look, "Jayce Oliver Reynolds, don't make me embarrass you in front of this lovely girl."

She then turned to me, with a grin on her face, "I'm sorry sweetie, I didn't catch your name."

I returned the gesture politely, "Alexandria Simmons, nice to meet you Mrs. Reynolds."

She nodded in reply.

"Anyways," Jayce slyly changed the subject, probably hoping that his mother forgot about her embarrassing him, "why are you home so early?"

His mother tossed him a dish towel to wipe away the milk still dripping on his face and hair, "I had to pick up your brother early from school, apparently he got into a fight - again."

I furrowed my eyebrows, Wesley seemed older than Jayce.

At that moment, a boy that resembled a younger looking version of Jayce walked in. His hair fell into his eyes just a bit, and he pushed it back just like Jayce did. The shade of his eyes looked familiar, but his mouth was set in a grim line.

"What is this, an intervention?" He scowled, his eyes averting over towards Jayce, then to me.

His gaze lingered on me for a moment, looking down and back up. I felt a little uncomfortable having, what looked like a middle school student, check me out. I sensed Jayce tense up from beside me, and he huffed, "So what's this about you getting into another fight Jacob?"

He rolled his eyes, walking over to the fridge and grabbed a can of soda, "I don't need to explain to you what happened, alright? There was pushing, shoving, punching, kicking, and most of those came from me. So let's just say that, I won."

Jayce took steps towards him. As he stood in front of Jacob, whom I'm guessing now is his younger brother, he practically towered over him. It was like looking at a boy version of Jayce.

"Jacob, cut the crap. What the hell happened, that was so important for you to just start another fight?" He demanded.

Jacob scowled at his brother, turning his back on him, "None of your business Jayce. I'm sorry I'm not the perfect son mom and dad wanted, I guess they just had one too many sons. I apologize for being such a let down."

He stormed out of the kitchen, stomping away on the staircase, whilst slamming a door right after.

I glanced between Jayce and his mother, both of them exchanging looks.

"I'm really sorry about his behavior Alexandria, I'll go check on him," Before going to Jacob's bedroom, she turned back, "And feel free to stay for dinner if you want sweetie."

I nodded, letting her go back to her rambunctious teenager.

Jayce ran a hand across his now clean face, "Come with me, you should probably go get cleaned up before dinner."

I followed him up the stairs, and into his room, where he grabbed a pair of sweats and two hoodies.

"Here," he handed me one of the sweaters in his hand, and I hesitantly too it, "brush off all the flour from yourself, then just put that on over."