Chapter 34

“For a guy who says that he kicks ass, you seem to suck at fights,” Jacob said to his brother as he opened up a first aid kit.

I watched on from my spot on the couch as Jacob assisted Jayce on his injuries. When Jayce had explained that he would get into fights on a somewhat daily basis, I had only thought he meant it would last a few weeks. But it’s been a month, and he gets fresh bruises and cuts every week. I don’t understand where he gets them from, it’s not like he’s in some fight club.

“These are definitely worse than the others,” I pointed out about his injuries.

Jayce was getting physically and mentally weaker, and he wouldn’t tell me why.

He winced as Jacob applied ointment onto his split lip, “Well the two of you talking doesn’t make it feel any better, now does it?”

I pushed aside his hostile tone just because he was injured. It seemed that this time, he was more pissed about the situation than any of the other times. He was just slumped in his armchair, letting his brother aid him back to health. I’d do it, but Jacob and I had a system going on. Since this happened so often, we alternated shifts in taking care of Jayce’s wounds. And this week just so happened to be his.

“Damn it! Jacob that hurt!” Jayce exclaimed in pain.

“He’s just trying to help,” I tried to reason.

He rolled his eyes, and crossed his arms, “Whatever.”

Not that it mattered, but I’d be lying if I said his attitude wasn’t bothering me right now. He’s probably just frustrated. Frustrated at the fact that he’s been getting beat up for some unknown reason he won’t reveal to anyone.

I’ve been observing Jayce for weeks now ever since he told me about his fights, and none of it actually made any sense to me. And it was because of the timing of it all. He picks me up in the morning and we drive to school. We have classes all day, he eats lunch with us, then we go back and finish up the rest of the classes. On some days he has football practice, but on the days he doesn’t, he drives me home, and we hang out for about maybe an hour or so. There isn’t any open time slot in the day that this could happen.

Unless… unless on his way home.

That’s it!

I cleared my throat, “Jacob, want to take a break for awhile and help me make some snacks?”

I gave him a look that read, “We need to talk.” 

He quickly understood my message and followed me to his kitchen.

Once we reached out of earshot, I spilled, “What time does Jayce usually get home everyday?”

He sent me a weird look, but thought about it, “Uh on days he doesn’t have practice he gets home around maybe between 5:00pm and 5:30pm. When he does have practice, I’d say around 6, since our mom wants us all home before 6:15pm on weekdays. Why are you asking?”

I rolled my lips inward, “Because if he gets home approximately 10-15 minutes after he leaves my house on weekdays, then that leaves no time slot for someone to beat him up. It’s impossible.”

He thought about this for a moment, “There’s a possibility that he ditches class, or maybe he’s forced out of class. Have you thought about that?”

I shook my head, “Actually no. But that can’t be, if he got into a fight at school, he’d come into his next period looking all bruised and battered, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have the makeup or skills to cover up his wounds in a matter of a few minutes.”