Chapter 36

This past week has been eventful. It’s been one full week since the catastrophe that happened last Friday. Word had gotten around town, including school, about what happened between Jayce and Colton. It was literally the only thing I heard about whenever I walked in a crowded classroom or even during our lunch period. Although I dreaded going to school, Cameron, mom, and surprisingly my dad forced me to go, whilst Jayce stayed at home, trying to recover from his fractured ribs, doctors orders. Colton hasn’t been around all that much either. Mom had gone over to their house to visit his mother, and she informed me that they were having a funeral for Mr. Michaels tomorrow. Our family was obligated to attend, since I was still known as Colton’s very best friend, but as of now, I’m not so sure anymore. I’ve tried coming over many times, but his mother would decline me at the door saying Colton needed his rest.

On another topic, when Jayce’s family was informed about how he got injured, his father wanted to take drastic majors and sue. But Jayce being regretful for his actions, called his father off of it, with no charges pressed at all.

Even though we both confessed our love for each other, I haven’t spoken to him since that day. Yes, he’s called and texted but I never got back to him. I do love him, I really do, but I just need to put some space between us for now to get used to the fact that he was the one that ultimately killed Colton’s father. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hold this against him, I just need time to sort out all my thoughts on this situation.

“Hey, what do you want for dinner?” Cam called out from the kitchen. He had a bunch of take out menus in his hands, and his cell phone on the counter, so I guess we were ordering out tonight.

Huh, we haven’t done that in a while.

“Why are we having take out?” I replied from the couch. I’ve been lying here on my back since we came home from school. I decided to take time for myself to really contemplate on my relationships with the people in my life. That’s exactly why I haven’t opened up my phone for about 2 hours now, I’m surprised I even lasted that long.

“Mom and dad have a dinner party tonight, they’ll be back late so dad gave us money for dinner,” He said coming into the living room.

I sat up from my position, “Dad gave us money?”

“Shocking right?” He replied.

I sighed, and plopped my feet up on a lingering pillow at the end of the couch, “I know this is weird, but have you spoken to Colton lately?”

He scrunched his eyebrows, and looked up from one of the menus, “Uh no, but mom’s been over there a lot. She told me that Colton’s trying to emotionally prepare himself for the funeral tomorrow.” He sighed, “I honestly feel bad for them, they lost Mr. Michaels, have to pay for the funeral with the limited money they have, and on top of all that, they’re losing in that lawsuit they filed.”

Yes, I had told Cameron about the whole lawsuit deal between the two families. When I took Jayce to the hospital, I called Cameron, who had just dropped off a still pissed off Colton, and told him everything, after he had calmed down of course. I mean who wouldn’t freak out when you see a person you’ve known all your life break down and want to kill another person.

“He’s getting help though. Mom told me that he’s been having a therapist come to his house every week, and he talks about what he’s done and how feels about it. I honestly would’ve never thought that Colton Michaels would seem like such a monster.”

I quickly defended him, “He’s been through a lot. So many bad things happened all at once, and I don’t blame him for breaking down like that.”