Chapter 27

The sound of my doorbell commenced the start of this plan. I was still very unsure about this, if I should really do through with this. This would make things even more complicated for everyone, I mean, if I wanted Jayce to see me as a girl that he should like, I shouldn’t throw myself on his best friend, I should just let things flow, let things go the way it was meant to go.

I really am stupid. I can’t do this; I can’t just act or pretend as if I suddenly like some other guy. I like Jayce, and only Jayce; I’ve always only ever liked him. My feelings, I guess, just started progress the more we hung out or talked, even though most of the time we argued or he did something stupid. 

Scurrying down the stairs, I began to grow anxious telling Parker, I obviously didn’t know how he was going to take this since I made such a big deal out of this just a few days ago.

I opened the door to reveal him in a pair of grey joggers, and a simple black tank – the same clothes he had been wearing just a few hours ago in the art room.

“Hey,” He said simply, flashing me a small smile.

I returned the grin, “Hi, listen, I think we need to talk about-“

He stopped me before I could continue, “Before you say anything, I have something really important to say and it’s just that-“

“Hold that thought,” I put one finger up, cutting him off.

“I can’t do this,” Not only had that come out of my mouth, but his as well.

He seemed taken back, matching my shocked expression, “Wait, what?”

A guilty expression took over his face, “I really just can’t do this, by going through with this fake date, I’d be hurting my best friend, and what kind of person am I to betray him? I wouldn’t be loyal to him, and I’m not that type of person.”

I stared at him dumbfounded, not knowing exactly what he was talking about by saying he didn’t want to hurt his best friend, “I uh, I don’t understand. How would doing this hurt Jayce?”

He sighed, then he began to explain to me about what had happen before he had entered the art room to assist us in completing the junior bake sale poster. Parker confessed everything, every single word the team said, every word Jayce and Miles said, every word he said, and did not say. But with each word he had repeated that came from Jayce’s mouth, the quicker my heart started to beat.

“He’s so stupid,” Parker let out a laugh, mostly saying that to himself.

I cracked a smile, and ran a hand through my tangled locks, “So now what, huh? Am I just suppose to go run into his arms, and we’ll have a happily ever after?”

The smile on his face faded, “Are you not happy about all this?”

“I am,” I insisted, “Believe me I definitely am, but what do you expect that’s going to happen? Do you honestly think that I could just go to him, kiss, and then be together? There will always be that one thing or person that’s going to get in the way. How do you think everyone at school will treat me? Especially Quinn and her group of friends from hell, she’ll make me regret ever talking to her precious Jayce.”

Parker shook his head disappointedly at me, “Do you really think that Jayce cares about all that?”

I was about to open my mouth to say something, but he beat me to it, “I know what Jayce did to you, I know Alex. But people make mistakes, don’t tell me that you’ve never screwed up once in your life. Jayce willingly admitted to Miles and I that he liked you, if you saw the look on his face when Chris and Roger were bad mouthing you, you’d probably think he was a different person. The way he talked about you was just so ridiculous that I even I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe that he was actually talking about a girl with so much passion yet so much pain. You’re one girl Alex, yet he had a thousand things to say about you. He’s risking so many things just to actually be with you, and don’t take that to heart.  Stop being so negative about this; stop thinking about the what ifs, and just think about what could be. And I know that you feel that you’re not good enough, but just know this. Alexandria Simmons, you’re beautiful, alright? You’ll never be like the girls Jayce has ever dated, you’ll never ever be like them, and that’s a good thing. Don’t think about what others think of you; don’t think about how others would react, you’re wasting precious time on contemplating how everyone would take it. Stop thinking, and just live.”