Chapter 11

The cold breeze flew smoothly through my hair, as if going through each and every individual strand. Looking over the edge of our cart, I saw crowds of people from our school, which wasn't surprising. From where we were, they all just looked like normal people, even the ones with pink hair and tattoos covering their arms. Everything looked so calm and nothing was out of the ordinary. I wish it were like this all the time, no problems, no drama, nothing that could ever harm you. Well unfortunately that's not how life works, especially if you're some outcast in high school.

Everyone thinks that outcasts can never find love, or ever have anything normal in their life. People think that they're some new kind of human species who have freakish looks and act a different way then everyone else. But the sad part is that outcasts aren't usually like that. They're people too, and they have as much right as everyone else to have a normal life. But no, kids in high school decide not to give that to them. They make the stupid decision to act as if they are superior to others and put those types of people down, making them actually think that they're different from everyone else in a bad way.

"You thought you were supposed to be in love with her?" I repeated his statement, showing that I was paying attention.

"Yeah, but I thought wrong, " He ran his hand over his face, his frown staying in place, "I remember telling you that I didn't know if Quinn actually loved me. I told you that I didn't know if she was with me because I'm Jayce Reynolds, or because I'm just me. And tonight I found out the answer to those unanswered thoughts."

From the look on his face, it didn't look like he got the answers he quite wanted. Before I could ask him how he found out about Quinn and Miles, he beat me to it.

"I was walking past one of the food concession stands to go to the carnival games to try and just kill time, being here wasn't an option for me, the team had to attend in support of the fundraiser. Before I continue, just know that breaking up with her was already a thought in my mind, " I felt him lean back and stretch his arms around the back of the cart, "I ran into your brother, who was with Justin, you know J.C?"

I nodded, obviously knowing who Cameron's best friend was.

"Well he told me to keep my eyes on Quinn, for some unknown reason. I asked him why, but he just walked away with J.C. So I took his advice under consideration and went looking for her."

I could tell that this story was difficult for him to explain to me."I texted and called her multiple times, but she never answered. I didn't want to think that she was one of those girls who dated a guy for their image, but obviously that's all true."

It was heartbreaking seeing how hurt he was. Yeah, Quinn was a cold-hearted snake, but she was someone who Jayce could've loved, and she just broke him.

"When I found her behind the dumpsters with someone who was supposedly one of my best friends, it obviously made me angry. I wanted to do so many things, punch him, yell at her, run in front of a bus because they fooled me into giving them my trust. But there was a feeling in my chest that made me feel happy. Yeah I was upset, but I wasn't completely mad or sad. I felt... relief when I saw them together."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "Why would you feel relieved?"

"I guess her cheating on me gave me an excuse to finally let out everything I've been holding in. That was the last straw for me, she pushed me over the edge and I guess the breakup talk came out of me – more like burst out of me."

I placed a hand over his, calming his sudden tenseness, "If you don't mind me asking, what brought up the thought of breaking up with her?"

He seemed to hesitate before he replied, "I've always had a tiny thought back in my head about what it would be like to not be with her. After our talk by the lake, I guess I just started to over think everything her and I have been through. You kind of opened my eyes to the person she really was, especially the person she was to you."