chapter 23:THE CEREMONY

THE REFLECTION IN THE SKY

It was noisy and people were running around throwing petals, some were huddled in groups playing by themselves. Others were splashing the rain puddles that were starting to form on the ground. The water was flowing down my face ,petals stuck to my cheeks.i had to spit out a piece that had made its way to my mouth. I had made it to the spot .i was looking for D when I felt someone hold my waist and turn me around.

Everything went silent and moved in slow motion.i hadn't turned to see who it was but I felt an electric pulse surge through me. My bag swung in motion with me getting out of my grip and flying over, throwing the petals up. Spreading them beautifully .they came down like confetti as daimakn stood in front of me holding my waist possessively. The petals landed on his face softly .i felt adrenaline rushing to my stomach. My heart was beating its way to oblivion.

Suddenly his face glowed in bright pink then green then yellow then red then orange.ill be damned .it was happening .i looked up. The sky was reflecting. We were standing under an amazing display. The stars twinkled in all these spectacular colours.it felt like a rainbow by the stars ,a rainbow at night.since it was still raining.i was looking up in amazement still in daimakns hold.i looked back at him.he hadn't shifted his gaze.he was still looking at me.

His eyes were light brown.i hadn't noticed how beautiful they were. His nose was curved to perfection. His bottom lip was full but his upper was slightly slender.i took in all of his features .i had avoided looking at him in any other way than normal.the light from the stars was dancing on his face."the skies are pleased."I broke the silence.

"yea,I can see."he replied in a soft tone.not breaking his stare

I cleared my throat."well you can let go now."I broke my stare and tried to loosen his grip.he wasn't letting go.he followed my eyes until they were back on him.i felt the pressure,the intensity with which he was looking at me."cas,"the sound of my name from his mouth gave me a strange feeling.i stopped fidgeting and just let him hold me.he tightened his jaw and licked his lower lip.after he felt that I wasn't going to move, he moved his hand to my face .was he going to kiss me? .i felt my hands shaking.

The sound of people screaming and celebrating the blessing from the sky was fading in the background. His hand wiped the rain and petals that were stuck to my cheek."Cecile asked me to help you with the elements test." What? where did that come from ?how did Cecile come up .i snapped out of it and asked him to come again "what?"

He let go of me and reached down for mud. He gently rubbed it on my face. Drawing squiggly lines on my forehead. It was tickly, I smiled. The elements test required the qualified protectors and the ones with special callings to take the elements test. We had to get mud on our faces or any other place on our body. This was to symbolize the earth element." you're having fun over there getting away with this."

"ooooo yea" he said as he reached down for more mud. This time he pretended he was going to rub it on my face but he threw it on me instead.

"Im so glad you did that, now I have a reason to get you muddy." he dodged my first throw. People were starting to play with mud.someones mud throw got daimakn .i stood there with a cocky smile "what have you heard about karma?"

"I know karma on a first name basis unfortunately."for the first time he was telling me something about himself .i wanted to know what he meant by that.before I could ask.the commanders commanded order and asked the protectors to line up for the elements test.the rain was reducing.it was drizzling now.the protectors got in line.there were a few strangers in the line.new faces.im guessing they were the ones with special callings.very few had the pleasure to go through the elements test.it only happened during the passing of the keeper and most times the keeper outlived many.