Chapter 29

A few months on

"Are we nearly finished?" Carl asked and rubbed the glistering sweat off his forehead.

"Nearly, just a few more panels." I replied and nailed the board onto the fence. We were building stables for the horses when winter arrived, sure Sol had grown hardy to last and previous apocalyptic winters, but it would make a nice change for her, to be under shelter rather than turning her quarters to the wind and rain.

"Which one is Sol having?" He asked and nailed a panel in next to me.

"I think the one on the right, its a bit bigger, and seeing as shes bigger than Ginger." I replied. Carl nodded, we finished the stables within a few more hours just as Rick and Michonne came over.

"Hows it going? I need to borrow Carl." He asked and leant on the fence.

"We've just finished." I said and he nodded.

"Looks great, I'm sure they'll like them in the winter." Rick smiled and looked over to where Sol and Ginger were grazing.

"See ya later buddy." I rubbed Carl's damp hair. He shook his head but smiled anyway and followed his dad.

"I'm glad they get on well. It must be nice having another horse around." I said to Michonne as Carl and Rick left.

We talked for a while until we had other jobs to attend to.

Once we gained all the people from Woodbury, the prison began looking like a proper community. I sighed, life was wonderful here, we had everything we wanted, all the people we needed.

I started making my way up the path when Maggie shouted me. She was at the fenceline killing walkers. I picked up a crowbar and started killing the walkers which were building up along the fence.

"This fence wont hold much longer." Maggie took a break and gazed at the fence which was slowly tilting into the prison. The walkers kept pushing it, the wooden stakes started splitting as the pressure became too much.

"Shit! We can't hold it!" I pushed my shoulder against the wall but it kept coming down, others had noticed our struggle and ran over to help.

"We can't hold this all day." Glenn exclaimed. My back was to the fence trying to keep it from falling, Sol raised her head in the distance and suddenly I had an idea.

"Hold this for a bit longer, I have an idea!" I yelled to the others and ran up the path to where Sol was grazing, I whistled her and she trotted over.

I vaulted onto her back and we cantered down to the gates where Carol was, she opened it for us and I clucked Sol forward. Hopefully the walkers would pay attention to Sol and not the fence, that was my plan.

Sol trotted up close behind the walkers, already attracting a few, I halted her behind the herd that was at the fence and whistled.

Some of them turned to look, but most of them stayed by the fence, I didn't understand, why wouldnt they come over?

I nudged Sol on a bit and this time I pulled a pistol out of my pocket and fired 3 shots, that got their attention, now I just had to keep it. We cantered forward and swerved in and out of the walkers until they were trailing behind, I had to keep Sol steady otherwise they would lose interest.

"I'll be back in a few." I said quickly to Carol just as a walker came up behind us.

The herd followed at an agonisingly slow pace, but it would save the prison. We got a few miles out until I decided it was far enough, I pushed Sol into a gallop which gave us space between the walkers and us.

"We'll stop here, make a small fire, the smoke will keep them coming this way, then we can ride around the edge of the herd." I spoke to Sol as if she was listening.

I jumped off and did just that, I built two small fires and then put one of them out, the smoke would attract the walkers and when the other one goes out it would keep them coming.

The walkers were getting closer, I could hear them all groaning in the distance. I jumped back on Sol and rode away from that place, back towards the prison.

I could see the herd on my left from afar, they were travelling towards the smoke and fire as suspected. I clucked Sol into a walk and let her lead me back to the prison.

I hadn't realised how dark it was getting, the low sun cast an orange glow over the fields, a warm breeze swept my hair out of my face.

I sighed contently, sometimes I wish there could be one day where I didn't have to worry for everyones safety, from the dead and the living. I wish we could all go a day without getting our own or someone else's blood on pur hands. I wish my family could be here, to enjoy simple moments like this.

But I knew nothing would ever be the same, I had to watch my back all the time, watch my friends suffer a painful death.

We reached the prison within an hour, the moon now slowly rising, the pink sky fading into navy.

"I managed to lure them away." I said to Rick who came up to me.

"We manged to reinforce the fence thanks to you." He smiled. We walked up to the prison together, just chatting like old friends.

"Hey you're back." Maggie smiled and pulled me in for a hug.

"I sure am." I returned the hug and sat down at the table with everyone and enjoyed my meal, for all I knew it could've been my last.

----

AAAAANNNNNDDD CUT!

so this is the ending :(:):(:) kinda sad but kinda glad, there will be an epilogue and a sequel! Stay tuned for that one.

Thank you for all the support on this book, I've really enjoyed writing it and i look forward to the sequel

Peace✌