Chapter:04

Copyright © by MonMoncheese
All Rights Reserved
Chapter:4 Published 09/11/2018
···

Noah 

"At least she isn't in pain anymore. The treatment took a lot on her, everyone could see it." Said Cole. My best friend since Kindergarten. After leaving my apartment this morning , I had walked for a few hours in the streets of New York City. My parents had called me to ask if I was okay. When I told them that I was dealing with it, they insisted to come visit me. But I told them not to. Somewhere around five in afternoon I had called Cole asking him to meet me at a cafe the we have been going to for a while. As soon as he saw my face, he knew and gave me a brotherly hug. 

"You know... I thought I was prepared." I said looking down at my untouched coffee. 

Cole looked around the cafe before speaking. "Noah, you were never supposed to be prepared. No one is supposed to be prepared. It's going to hurt you know. And then at some point the pain will stop. But right now, you are grieving and that's good." The thing about Cole is that he always knew when to say the right thing. 

Letting out a sigh, I took a sip from my coffee. "She made me promise that I would find someone else" I said.

"Typical of Caroline, always making sure people are happy, can't believe she managed to make sure of that until the last minute". Cole said. He was right Caroline always made sure people were happy. "And did you? Promise her?" He continued. 

"I did, I had to. But, I don't know if I'll be able to fulfill that promise. It seems a little hard to find someone to form a family with. Now, the she's...gone" I whispered the last part. It hurt just thinking about her.

"Moving on will be hard, you know that. But forming a family is what you've always wanted-"

"With Caroline, I wanted to form a family with Caroline." I cut him off. "There is no point on forming a family with anyone else, because they will not be Caroline." 

Cole looked at me with sympathy.

"Look man, Caroline just wanted you to be happy. It will take time, but you promised her. And I will make sure of that because you are my best friend and because Caroline was like a sister to me" He said. 

"Thanks man, for being here." I said.

"No problem, I see you as a brother. So, I'm just helping out." At that I laughed.

"Why do you see everyone as your siblings?" I asked.

"Hey! I am an only child, I get lonely." We both laughed at that. 

"Have you talked to Elise and Logan?" He asked. Elise and Logan are my older siblings. Logan is 25 and is currently in Los Angeles for a new construction project of his. Elise is 23 and taking a year off to help people around the world until she settles down on her true career. After they had received the news that Caroline had died they called me to check up on me, but I had not said much. And knowing that they were busy I did not want to intervene with their work. 

"They called me to tell me that they would be here for the funeral, I told them it was not necessary but they insisted on coming" I said.

For a while we just sat there drinking our coffees. Until he spoked up. "Who is taking care of the funeral arrangements?". 

"Caroline's parents are taking care of it . I offered to do so, but they said they would take care of it . And right now I'm grateful. I don't think I would have been able to to it myself." I told him.

"You know Noah if you need any help, I'm here. You are not in this alone. You will be fine after some time. I will make sure it."  Cole said.

Gabriella