Chapter 7 - "Mentally scarred her cat."

Elliot sat perched on a stool before the office windows, a warm mug in her hand. The door opened and Beck stepped in. After he poured himself a cup of coffee, he took the stool besides Elliot's.

They sat there in silence, watching and listening to the flow of traffic below them.

"Are you going to tell me why you told your brother we were friends?" Elliot asked. "Because I have you marked as 'the-person-I-have-their-contact-info,-but-will-never-call'."

"You're marked as that-person-I'll-nod-to-as-I-pass-them-on-the-street."

"That's a step up from person-I'll-pretend-not-to-notice-at-a-restaurant. So are you going to tell me why we are now pinned to the label of friends?"

"Reasons," Beck said.

"Multiple reasons or just one?" 

"Just one." 

Elliot waited for a second and then nodded.

"Okay."

After another long moment, Elliot swung herself around, facing the office.

"Shall we work?" she asked.

In answer Beck moved to the couch. Elliot walked to the opposite side of the room, studying the cork board and the line of white index cards that covered it.

"Alright," she said. "I believe we have the major plot points for Tess's story line. Now we need to move on to Weston's."

Elliot turned around and looked at Beck.

"Thoughts?" she asked.

"Whatever you decide, I will write," Beck said.

Elliot climbed over the back of the couch and sat on the top, her feet on the cushions.

"Look, I want this to be a joint thing," she said. "I want to know what back story you would come up with. I want to know what Weston would think. That's why you are here. I have no idea how guys think. I mean do you even notice what a girl is wearing?"

"Sometimes."

Elliot raised her eyebrows.

"Really?" she asked. "I always figure guys just notice butts and boobs."

Beck's expression was unreadable.

"There are a few who notice a woman's face as well," Beck said, his voice even. "But they are social outcasts and rarely attend male functions."

"Harsh. What do you do with the guys that actually notice personalities?"

"They are ostracized."

"Wow! Who knew the male world was so brutal?"

Beck took another sip of coffee and made no reply.

"What group are you a part of?" Elliot asked.

"Does it matter?"

She shrugged.

"Just curious. I know I'm in the first group. I never notice what a guy is wearing and pay even less attention to his personalty. Give me a pretty face and I'm happy."

Beck nodded.

"I prefer my mannequins to have personalties and opinions," Beck said.

"You're never going to find one of those. Also how have you not been killed already?"

"I say very little when attending the male functions."

"Wise move."

Elliot took a sip of her coffee as Beck studied her.