Chapter 34 - "I'm not a gigolo."

"That's it!" Elliot said, tossing her computer onto the couch beside her. "I have completely run out of words."

Beck glanced at his watch then back at his computer.

"That's only the fourth time today it has happened," he said. "That's an improvement from yesterday."

She pulled off her glasses and dropped them onto the couch. The office was lit by the fading light of the sun, as evening slowly took over the sky. She stood up and moved to the coffee maker. 

"Yes, well this time I mean it. My brain has given up. No more genius shall becoming from my head."

"Has it ever?"

With a look of mock hurt, Elliot slowly turned around to find Beck typing away, a wide grin on his face.

"Beck Daniels, I have half a mind-"

"I'd say it's a little more than that."

"-to have you fired."

"You threatening to fire me only works when that's an actual threat," he said. He looked up at her. "You do understand that's how threats work, right?"

She scowled.

"I'm thinking of throwing this coffee maker at you," she said.

Beck pointed to her. "Now that's a threat."

Elliot laughed and shook her head, Beck's smile growing. He saved his work and closed his computer, setting it on the coffee table. Equipped with a fresh cup of coffee, Elliot sank back onto the couch, leaning her head on the back of it. Beck pulled his ankle onto his knee and eyed the cup.

"Aren't we going to the cafe?" he asked.

"No, tonight is trivia night at Emmet's," Elliot said. She glanced at her phone. "You want to come with?"

"You play trivia?"

She let out a mocking laugh.

"Oh no," she said, her expression going serious. "We've been banned from playing it at every cafe and bar there is in Boston."

He raised an eyebrow. "Seriously?"

"What do you think? It's Tristan, Milo, Cece and me."

He nodded in understanding.

"Ah, of course, too many betting rings."

"No, we just kept winning. Although we did have a betting ring going for who came in second." 

With a slightly puzzled look, Beck crossed his arms and leaned back on the couch.

"So how are we going to go to trivia tonight?"

"Oh, even though we can't play, the betting ring is still on."

"Naturally."

Elliot smiled and Beck easily returned the gesture. She broke away first, before his blue eyes could turn her smile into something idiotic. Setting aside the cup of coffee, she picked up her purse and stood.

"We should head over, get something to eat before the festivities begin."

He followed her lead, pulling his satchel over his head. After she dumped the coffee, they made for the door. Beck took an extra quick step to reach it before Elliot and pulled it open for her. They paused in the doorway, as a group of women walked passed them and down the stairs. Elliot turned to Beck with a wide eyed expression.

"Did you know other people worked here?" she whispered.

"I assumed. It is an office building."