Chapter 21 - "I did hire you for your brains."

The pounding of footsteps was the only announcement Elliot had of Cece's approach before her bedroom door was tossed open and Cece strode in.

"That's it!" she said. "I give up!"

Elliot flopped back on her pillows.

"Oh thank goodness," she said. She pushed herself back up. "I didn't want to say anything because you love the color red so much, but it totally drains your color and that dress, well..."

Cece stared at Elliot with a baffled look and her hands on her hips.

"What are you talking about?" she said. "I was talking about Milo."

"What!? Right, that's what I was talking about too..."

Cece moved over to the bed, twisted and fell onto it. She stared up at the ceiling, her arms spread out.

"For the past few days he's been distant," she said.

Elliot leaned forward, resting her chin in her hand.

"What's up? Have you been doing anything different?" She shrugged. "I don't know, paying him compliments? Showing him any ounce of attention? Telling him that you actually have feelings for him?"

Cece tossed up her hands.

"That's the thing," she said. "I've done none of that! So why is he so annoyed with me?!"

"It's his birthday today, maybe he's just been distracted with thinking about that?"

Cece turned her head to Elliot, wearing a flat expression. Elliot scowled and crossed her arms.

"Okay...yeah....I'm not coming up with the best responses today. That's not my fault, it's early and a Thursday."

Cece's face softened.

"I forgot what day it was," she said. "You're complete rubbish on Thursdays. I guess I'll have to solve this on my own."

She got up from the bed and straightened her dress, paused and looked at Elliot.

"Red really drains me?" she asked.

"It's like you sucked out all your blood to dye the dress red."

"Gruesome image but quite accurate, props to you. Then I must change."

"Yes, I'd start with your personality, it needs some work."

"I'll make a note of it, forget about it, find it a year later and toss it out."

"I expected nothing less. Do you have your dress for the party tonight?"

Cece rolled her eyes, her expression turning sour.

"There's the other thing," she said. "Why did Milo let Soso plan his birthday party? Why not us?"

"I'm guessing it went down a little something like this," Elliot said. She looked off and moved her hands in an arch. "Soso enters the Cafe. Milo looks up. She smiles. He nods. She says 'Milo I heard your birthday is coming up. Could I throw you a birthday party? He shrugs 'Sure' then continues reading his book."

Cece started to clap slow and dramatically.

"Beautiful impression. Truly stunning," she said.

Elliot bowed.

"Thank you."

"So I shouldn't take offense that he agreed to let her throw the party?"

"Oh, I'm not saying that. It could easily go either way. He could be snubbing you or he could have chosen Soso because she asked and our party would be filled with countless illegal things that we could get arrested for."