Cece's Dogged Determination Special

Elliot jogged up the steps to the red brick house. The scent of spring was hovering in the air, the sight of buds on the trees echoing the day's statement. The afternoon sun was starting to yawn and look towards the horizon. She opened the heavy front door and stepped inside. An empty entryway greeted her. Spreading out from it was an equally bare hallway with not a speck of life or color that lead to more empty rooms.

"Cece!" she called, her voice ringing off the polished wooden floor and racing up the stairs.

A faint yell from the second story, directed Elliot's path. She climbed the curved stairs and walked down the short hallway, passing two rooms with boxes stacked in them. She moved into Cece's room the only the one that looked like people actually occupied the house. It was simply decorated with a large bed, desk, love seat and arm chair. Below the tall windows were windows seats that looked out on the street. The walls were filled with pieces of art and framed photographs.

Cece emerged from the walk-in closet, hopping as she tugged on her tennis shoe. Elliot put her hands on her hips.

"I see you're sticking with the writing plan," she said.

Cece finally managed to plant her foot firmly in the shoe and stood straight.

"What can I say, it was the best plan I've ever come up with," she said.

"It's been what? Five weeks since you moved in here?"

"Yes. What do you think?"

"I've seen hobos with homier places but then again you have a plan."

Cece pointed to her. "Exactly, I have a plan."

"The plan seems to be working, there were no improvements that I saw."

"You missed the library then."

"Ah, how many chapters did you avoid to get that moved in?"

"Twelve through sixteen."

Elliot waved her hands out. "It's brilliant, either you'll have a novel written or be moved into your house."

"A great plan!"

"Not sure about the great part but it is a plan."

Cece looked over the room, searching for her second shoe.

"What did Milo say about the whole living like squatters existence?" Elliot asked.

Cece shrugged. "Oh, not a lot."

She dropped to her knees and checked under the bed. With a cry of triumph, she reached under and came back with her other shoe. She sank onto the floor and carelessly brushed aside her hair, then tugged on the shoe.

"He really had nothing to say on the matter?"

Cece made a face and waved a free hand.

"Oh he might have said something stupid like 'it doesn't matter how I live as long as I'm living with you."

Elliot smirked. "You totally blushed and kissed him, didn't you?"

Cece stood, looking affronted. "Of course I did, that line is classic and pure gold."

She walked over to the bed and grabbed the sweater off the top. She stuck her arms through and started tugging it down. Elliot crossed her arms, the diamond engagement ring hiding in the folds of her navy sweater.

"Why did you call me over again? I actually was being productive and writing."

Cece popped her head through the sweater, giving Elliot a knowing look.