Chapter 27 - "Caring is for losers who don't have coffee addictions."

Elliot and Cece stepped up onto the curb outside the cafe. Cece's ragged appearance had been left behind at the house and her head-turning self was back. Elliot moved forward, but Cece stopped, a look of unease slipping onto her features. Elliot looked back when she noticed Cece wasn't following.

"Unless you want to shout your speech to Milo," she said, "I suggest we enter the cafe."

Cece turned her attention away from the cafe entrance to Elliot.

"El," she said. "I can't do this."

Elliot walked back to her and stood in front of her.

"Yes. You can."

Cece tossed up her arms in disbelief.

"Really? Because I think we were both there yesterday and saw that I couldn't do it. What makes this times any different? Except for the fact that you are threatening me into doing this." 

Elliot scowled.

"Cece! Where is the strong minded, determined girl who flirted her way out of a parking ticket? Where is the stubborn girl who convinced a Russian mobster to release Tristan? For half the price!" 

Cece's lip curled. Elliot put her hands on Cece's shoulders.

"Where is the sister I look up to more than anyone else in the world? If she is still in there, tell her to come back and go get the only guy that has ever mattered to her."

Elliot let her hands fall, watching as the uncertainty left Cece's face. Cece nodded then frowned in annoyance.

"I don't know what to say," she said.

"You're a writer, how can you not know what to say?"

Cece crossed her arms.

"I'm serious," she said. "What do I even say to him? Especially after yesterday?"

Elliot waved her hand around.

"I don't know," she said. "Invite him to the wedding. Say you will pull A Philadelphia Story and elope with him to Vermont. Say you would face a thousand years of pain just to get one minute with him."

Cece made a face.

"I'm not sure I would do that last one," she said. "It seems really intense for not a lot of pay off. I mean a minute? That seems a bit dramatic."

Elliot growled.

"I don't care what you say, just say something," she said, "because I want to get coffee."

Cece shook her head.

"And now the truth comes out," she said. "You don't care about Milo and I being together. This is for purely selfish reasons."

"Of course it is," Elliot said. "I'm sorry I didn't make that completely clear from the beginning. Now move it!"

Cece rolled her eyes.

"And I thought you cared."

"Caring is for losers who don't have coffee addictions."

Elliot moved behind Cece and pushed her forward. Cece twisted back and swatted Elliot's hands, before heading towards the door. With a deep breath, she pulled it open. The cafe had hit a lull and only a couple tables were occupied. Milo stood in front of the counter, sweeping. He looked up at the sound of the bell and paused.

Cece strode forward with a confident air. Elliot followed behind. Beck sat at a nearby table and she gave him a quick glance. He looked up from his book, an interested light coming into his eyes. He met Elliot's gaze then they both focused on Cece. Milo put the broom off to the side and crossed his arms, looking at Cece with forced indifference.