Something Special

Elliot was too far gone in sleep to hear her door open. Or to hear the footfalls that moved across her carpet to her bed. The thing that did pull her slowly from her dreams was the sound of a deep, familiar voice.

"El," Beck said, his tone low and gentle.

Elliot mumbled something but made no sign of waking. Beck brushed a strand of hair away from her face, his thumb caressing her cheek.

"El, beautiful, wake up," he said, raising the volume of his voice a little more.

She moved onto her back, her face shifting towards him. Her eyes were still closed, her mind trapped by her dreams. He ran a hand down her face, calling her name as he did. Elliot mumbled again, the fog of dreams slowly receding. Beck crouched down by the bed.

"El, come on wake up. We need to leave."

Elliot blinked her eyes open. The room was dark, night still living in the sky. The only light came from the open door and the hallway. For a long moment she stared at nothing waiting for her eyes to adjust. Beck took form before her. He was fully dressed in jeans and a heavy sweater. When his face came into focus, she glared at him.

"What are you doing in my room?" she asked, her voice heavy with the last of her sleep.

Beck gave a low chuckle and brushed away a tangled piece of her hair.

"I'm here to kidnap you, of course."

"Oh, in that case..." Elliot twisted around and closed her eyes. "Go away."

Beck stood and placed this hands on the bed, leaning over.

"Come on beautiful, wake up."

Elliot pulled the blankets up towards her chin.

"Beck Daniels," she said, her words half mumbled. "I will not be swayed out of this bed by your useless term of endearment."

Beck shook her shoulder. "We have to go, El."

Elliot shrugged out of his hold. "What ever delusion I have given you about my affection towards you I take back. Now leave me be. It's too early and cold to go any where."

"The car is all warmed up," Beck said.

"I hope you and your car will be very happy together."

She scooted further away from him, causing him to laugh quietly, as if worried to wake anyone else. He settled on the edge of the bed, tugging the blankets off her. She shivered though the room wasn't cold. For a moment they fought over the comforter. Beck's fully awake state and strength won out and Elliot was left curled up on the bed.

"Freakin' eggs it's cold. I hate you so much Beck Daniels," she muttered.

Beck pulled her towards him and wrapped her in his arms. Her head rested against his chest, his heart beating faintly in her ear.

"I don't want your warmth, I want the dang blankets."

"Yes, but you aren't getting them. So I will have to do."

Despite her annoyance, Elliot shifted closer to Beck settling against him, her legs curled up. He smelled of coffee, pastries and winter. The soft fabric of his sweater brushed her cheek and she felt herself relaxing into the feel of him. Her breathing became deep, the rise and fall of his chest pulling her back to sleep.

"El, you can't go to sleep again. You need to wake up."

Elliot's eyelids were heavy, the smooth rhythm of his voice wrapping around her. He buried his fingers in her hair and cupped the back of her neck.