Chapter 28 - "Did you just call me 'lackey'?"

"Huzzah!" Elliot yelled as she jumped up from the couch, her fists raised above her in triumphant.

Beck looked at her, from where he sat on the opposite couch, with a slightly amused grin. She pointed to him.

"Quick lackey," she said. "Fetch me my horse! I shall ride to the nearest tavern and have my fill of their finest ale."

Beck raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"I'm sorry?" he said.

Elliot shrugged.

"Huzzah just slipped out and I fell right into the trap of speaking old English."

"An easy thing to fall prey to."

"So you understand."

Beck dropped his gaze but paused when a thought struck him. He looked back up at Elliot.

"Wait," he said. "Did you just call me 'lackey'?"

Elliot made a face.

"Would you have preferred stable boy?" she asked. "I was debating between the two. But stable boy seemed to instantly drop us into a bodice ripper novel. I wasn't sure we could come back from that."

"I prefer neither."

"Fine," she said, "slave it is then. I thought the other two were less demeaning."

Beck gave her a flat look. It had no affect on Elliot as her mood buoyed once more, as the reason for her excitement returned in full force.

"Beck!" she said. "How are you not excited?!"

She cocked her head and gave him a thoughtful look.

"Is it because your face forgot how? I understand that happens to people."

She waved the thought away and clapped her hands.

"I'm so excited I could shout it from the roof tops." She held up a finger. "Which is exactly what I will do!"

She danced around the coffee table and raced to the windows. She slid one open, welcoming in a rush of summer heat and the smell of car fumes and the sea.

"I can start writing my book!" she yelled.

Car horns were the only response to the outburst. Elliot pointed at nothing in particular and scowled.

"Don't give me that look Winston," she said.

She slid the window closed, successfully muffling the noise of traffic. Still glowing with elation, she moved back to the couch. Beck had not stirred and his expression was placid. Elliot stepped over to him and put her hands on his shoulders.

"Beck Daniels!" she said. "How are you not excited that we can finally write this dang book?!"

Laughter entered Beck's blue eyes as he looked at her and the edge of his mouth curled upward.

"Seriously!" she said. "I'm so happy I could kiss you!"

Beck raised one teasing eyebrow, the beginning of his grin turning into a smirk. Elliot laughed and straightened, releasing his shoulders.

"Don't give me that mocking look," she said.

She flopped back onto the couch beside him.

"I happen to be an excellent kisser," she said. "Or so Pillow tells me."

"I'm sure your pillow has a lot of experience in that department and truly knows the difference between a poor and excellent kisser."

Elliot slapped his arm.