Chapter 15 - "Have cats been improving their marketing image?"

"Are you sure about this decision?" Ryan asked.

"Yes," Elliot said.

The party had migrated to the living room and sat positioned on couches and arm chairs.

"You've thought through all the merits?" Jay asked.

"The pros and cons?" Ryan added.

"I have thought hard about this," Elliot said.

"I would believe that," Joe said. "El strikes me as the person to ponder this query when she's alone in her room."

Elliot shot him a glare as a round of laughs swept through the room.

"Just because you made a rash decision doesn't mean you can mock mine, Joseph!" Elliot said.

Joe raised his hands in surrender though his expression still held a mocking look.

"So you're sticking with your choice?" Tristan asked.

"Absolutely," Elliot said.

They all exchanged looks.

"Okay," Ryan said. "So you're saying the silliest animal you could be transformed into would a Dodo bird?"

"Yes," she said. "It's even in the name."

The room exploded in outcry.

"I still think my choice of a deaf bat wins," Milo called over the chaos.

"No way! A blind naked mole rat wins," Cece said, shutting him down.

The room fell to madness as everyone turned to their neighbor, arguing a case for their choice of silliest animal. Elliot looked over at Beck, his expression hinting at amusement. He glanced over her.

"At least it's not chit chat," she yelled.

Beck laughed, the sound swallowed up by the roar of discussions. Elliot was just turning back to fight with Mia, about her choice of a short necked giraffe, when the front door opened. A muscular guy in his twenties with a neat military haircut, brown eyes and a friendly smile walked in. Elliot jumped up and walked over to him.

"Chase!" she said, hugging him.

His smile widened, as he looked from her to the noisy room.

"What we arguing about?" he asked.

"The silliest animal you could be transformed in to," she said.

"That's easy, a flying penguin."

Elliot laughed and Chase dug his hands into his pockets.

"I didn't think you would make it this year," she said.

"I'm on leave, and was visiting a cousin in New York so I had to come," he said. "It looks like the same old crowd."

Chase paused when his gaze landed on Beck.

"Who's the new guy?" he asked.

Elliot turned to Beck and met his gaze. She motioned him over and he stood, joining them.

"Chase, this is Beck," Elliot said.

Chase looked from Elliot to Beck and back.

"Boyfriend?" he asked, his eyebrows raised.

Elliot punched his arm.

"I take complete offense at your shocked expression," she said. "But no, Beck is currently helping me on my latest book. It could be argued that the only reason he is here, is because he's terrified if he didn't accept the invite he would be fired."