Chapter 42 - "The answer is platypus."

Elliot pushed herself up at the sound of footsteps moving down the hallway. The room around her was still dark and she knew only one person would be awake. She threw back her covers and stepped out of bed. The carpet was soft and cool beneath her bare feet. When she opened her door she could hear the faint sounds of someone in the kitchen.

Outside the street lights were still burning, saying it was sometime in the very early morning. She walked down the stairs and passed the living room, where Milo lay snoring on the couch. Light spilled into the hallway and Tristan's shadow could be seen moving in front of it. She stepped inside and he glanced back at the sound of her approach.

"What in the world are you doing up?" he asked.

The coffee maker was gurgling and on the stove was a fry pan. Ingredients for breakfast were laid out on the counters. Elliot crossed her arms.

"I would ask you the same question, but it's pretty obvious," she said. "You've turned into a hamster."

He pointed a spatula at her. "I would ask if that makes sense, but it's you and I believe everything you say makes sense. To you."

"Hamsters are nocturnal."

"Ah. And my deduction was correct," he said. He placed his hands on the counter, staring at her. "Now, what are you doing up?" He waved his hand. "Besides, you know, wasting my time and saying my looks are the same as a burrito shaped animal covered in hair."

Elliot slid onto a stool and rested her elbows on the cold granite.

"I couldn't really sleep and I heard you. So I decided to come down and make similarities between you and a useless pet. Are you going to answer my question?"

"Fine. The answer is platypus."

"I mean to why you are down here," she said, "not what animal you believe would make the best president."

"Well, you should have been more clear," he said. He went back to making breakfast. "I'm here because I have an early meeting today and I decided it was pointless to go to sleep. So, I'm staying up all night and after the meeting I'll come back and sleep."

"Won't you be tired for the meeting?"

"Not as tired if I had slept for two hours and tried to get up."

Elliot nodded. She reached out and grabbed a piece of bread. While Tristan worked, they said nothing, Elliot slowly tearing the bread into pieces and eating it. As Tristan poured the eggs on to the hot pan, he glanced up at her.

"You should say what you want to now, because once this is done I plan on leaving you."

Elliot looked at him, her brow creased with troubled thoughts.

"Do you think I was stupid to ask him?"

"Were you stupid to put your heart out there?" he said. "Yes, all idiots who choose to chase love are stupid. That's why we call them idiots."

His mocking tone did nothing to ease the frown. She looked down at the counter and he saw the hunch in her posture. He sighed, out of exasperation or sympathy she wasn't sure.

"El, this family, well at least our half, looks at love like it is a dangerous beast that should be avoided at all costs. We're this way for the sole reason we know what true pain and abandonment feels like. Does that mean we should hide away from the rest of the world and never put ourselves out there?" He shrugged. "I don't know. Part of me wants to, even though I have met someone who is amazing. You never know what is going to happen, but if you didn't put yourself out there, then you would never have anything worth writing about."