Stranger Danger

I got in a lot of trouble that night and had to apologize to my mom for making her cry. I asked her and dad about joining the basketball team, but as usual dad said no. He told me he didn't want basketball to impede my studies, and once again, my dreams are crushed.

The first time I went off the deep end and began to self-destruct it was because he wouldn't allow me to play basketball then too. I decided I would try the opposite of self-destructing and get focused on my academics. Maybe then he would let me play. Meanwhile, I could put off coach Treggle by saying my parents were busy and promised to sign it when they could so I could at least practice.

"Nice bruise on your face, did someone slap some sense into you?" Courtney mocks.

"What's your deal Courtney? Why are you putting so much effort into someone who treats you like you're a joke?" I ask.

Courtney shoves me up against some lockers and again it takes all the strength I have in me not to punch her in the face.

"You're no one and once Drew gets whatever he wants from you, he'll drop you like a bad habit. Only, you'll have to get in line because he's taking me to the movies tonight." Courtney smiles.

"Why would Drew go out with you, he doesn't even like you?"

"Or maybe that's just what he wants you to think. I'm warning you, stay away from him. He's mine."

Drew comes walking down the hall with his brother and his friends in tow heading to first period. He stops in front of Courtney and she kisses him on the lips to prove her point.

"I was just telling Sidney about our date tonight." A smirk spreads across her face.

Drew looks over at me and I can't hide my confusion. One minute he's asking me out, and the next he's going out with Courtney again?

"It's none of my business what you and Drew do. We're just friends, right Drew?"

"Right." He nods.

I'm so over this teenage drama. I try to escape the train wreck known as Drew and Courtney and realize it's not that easy. I have the luxury of sitting next to Drew and his crazy girlfriend in Chemistry. He's my lab partner, and Courtney watches him like a hawk to make sure we aren't making some chemistry of our own. Seriously, this chick needs a hobby.

As Dr. Martin began teaching the day's lesson, there's a nagging question I have to ask Drew because it's really bothering me. When Dr. Martin finally leaves us to our class work, I confront him with it.

"I'm confused and I'm hoping you can clarify something for me."

"What's that?"

"The other day in the cafeteria you asked me out, right?"

"Yeah."

"And now you're in a relationship with Courtney again?"

"Well, you said no and according to my sources, she puts out."

"So, being possessive and easy is what you look for in a girl?"

"Look, what do you want from me? Courtney's not just an easy lay, she can be funny too." He defends.

I stare him in the face wondering how long it will take for him to burst into laughter because we both know he's full of crap. It doesn't take long. Shaking my head, I laugh with him.

"You sound jealous." Drew smiles.

"You wish." I smile back.

He winks. "Actually, I do."