The Terms

Patrice and Trisha follow me up to my room where we put on some music and dance like fools. My favorite song by the Ting Ting's comes on and I grab my hairbrush pretending to sing. Trisha and Patrice join in and we're so caught up in singing and dancing that we don't notice Drew sitting on the windowsill. He laughs, startling us, and we all scream.

"Sidney? Is everything okay?" Mom calls from downstairs.

"Yes mom, we're just having fun!" I shout back through the door.

"And trying not to have a heart attack." Patrice pants.

We all laugh, and I help Drew inside. It's been a while since he's climbed through my bedroom window. He used to do it all the time when he was a kid and his parents were arguing. If my parents knew how easy it was, they would have moved me to a different room or covered the landing outside my window with barbwire.

"Can I talk to you alone?" Drew asks.

"We'll go make a snack to bring upstairs. You guys have fifteen minutes." Trisha gives Drew the evil eye.

She pulls Patrice out of the room to give Drew and I some privacy, and we both sit down on the side of my bed.

What was so important that it couldn't wait until tomorrow...?

"What are you doing? Are you crazy?" I ask, whispering so we won't get caught. "This was cute when we were little, but we're teenagers now. You can't be climbing through my bedroom window. It's inappropriate."

"I had to see you."

"Most people try the front door."

"Yeah, right?" He laughs. "Like I'd make it past the Warden."

"Did you get rid of Nicole?" I ask, getting straight to the point.

"No, and I'm not going to."

"Why not?"

"I know your dad gave you permission to date, but that's not the only reason I started talking to other girls," he reminds me. "My parents don't want me getting serious about anyone. I'll be going off to college and then the NBA. They don't want me losing sight of what's important."

"So, even though I'm free to date, you still want to see other people." The realization of his words hit me.

"Yeah," he nods. "And I'm hoping you'll be one of them."

My first reaction is to scream NO at the top of my lungs, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I can date whoever I want, including Drew, which means I can have my cake and eat it too. I never have to worry about getting my heart broken either. Plus, if he acts stupid, like guys often do, I can just go out with someone else. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, with whoever I want. After sixteen years of being locked away like sleeping beauty in a tower, I'm ALL FOR IT.

"Fine," I agree to his terms, "but don't expect me to be waiting by the phone or waiting for you to notice me. If I'm not a priority for you, you won't be one for me. I won't be your side chick either. I'm your number one or the deal is off."

Drew cocks his head to the side and smirks. "Any other demands?"

"Yeah. Teach me how to drive."

He laughs and agrees to my terms, pulling me in for a hug. "You're a con artist," Drew kisses me on the lips. "And you could probably sell snow to the Eskimos."

"So, is that a yes?"

"It's a yes." He nods.

"Good. Now get out of my room." I gently shove him towards the window.