WORTH SAVING

"Baby steps." Drew sighs.

"Right. Sorry." I nod and apologize.

"Truth moment?

"Truth moment."

"I miss you."

He's still apprehensive, which means I'm not out of the woods yet, but this is a start. I have a lot of making up to do.

"Let's take a walk," he says, taking me by the hand out into the hall so we can be alone. "I want to apologize forgrabbing you the way I did. That's not me. I would never hit a girl."

"I'm sorry I ruined your birthday."

"It was ruined long before that night. My parents are getting a divorce and I'm powerless to stop it." He sighs.

"Is your father really moving?"

"Yes, and I don't know what to do."

While Drew talks, an idea pops into my head. If we could help fix his parent's relationship the way they tried to fix ours, then Drew wouldn't have to choose.

"I have an idea." I grin from ear to ear.

"For what?"

"For getting your parents to reconcile. It will require getting both the team, the coach, the principal, and as manyvolunteers as we can to help."

"Sid, my dad's leaving his hotel in a week."

"Then we should hurry." I smile.

I jump to my feet, hurrying to put my plan into action, and speak with principal Keaton. Drew follows behind me, dragging his feet.

"What is it we're doing?" He asks.

"You'll see."

After meeting with the principal and then the decoration committee, Drew and I meet up with Patrice, Nicole, Em and Trisha in the parking lot. I can't wait to tell them my plan.

"So, what is this about?" Asks Patrice.

"I've come up with a huge plan to get Drew's parents to reconcile."

"Wow. You've really gone off the deep end." Nicole replies, checking my temperature.

"I'm not sick, just hear me out."

"We're listening." Em eyes me like she too thinks I'm losing it.

"I was thinking of taking their wedding photos and showing them on a projector screen in the auditorium, setting up the auditorium to look like their first date, and playing some of their favorite songs for them to dance to. Then we can have people tell them how their marriage has influenced them and end it all by getting them to dance with one another. I figure maybe if we show them how many good memories they have and make such a big deal out of it they'll realize the relationship is worth saving." I blurt out excited.

"Sidney, this isn't a Cosby show special." Patrice rolls her eyes.

"Name one episode on the Cosby show where anyone ever did what I'm asking." I challenge her.

"Look, I know it's corny, but anything is better than doing nothing." Em points out.

"Let's do it." Drew smiles.

"Yes! I need you to get me any anniversary, wedding, vacation or honeymoon videos or photos you can find. Since we have a week to do this, I brought our decoration committee on board and if we can get those things to them, we can have this done two days from now. The principal agreed to call your parents and tell them they need to come down to the school in order to get them here." I tell him.