FREIGHT TRAIN

When Drew and I finally make it over to my house that night, as expected, my dad turns the car down. He automatically assumes we were sleeping together (saw that coming), and he doesn't want Drew holding anything over my head. But once Drew gives him his reasons, and we explain that it could be a loaner until I get one from my parents, he changes his tune. So, for the time being, I am the proud owner of a brand-new Mini Cooper.

I'm also crazy about Drew Taylor.

So why are you going out on a date with Quincy? Ah... yes, that's right... you gave him your word and although you're in love with Drew, he still wants to have an open relationship...

"A little birdie told me Drew got to third base," Patrice smirks.

My bedroom door is open. If she were any louder, I'd be on a bus back to boarding school. "Seriously Patrice, my bedroom door is open." I glare at her, shutting the door.

"Did you really let him go down on you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Besides, you obviously don't know Drew very well... you don't let him do anything. He just does it."

"So, did he get to third base or not?"

Shrugging I tell her, "I don't kiss and tell, sorry."

"I'm your best friend. Come on, Sid."

"What happens between Drew and I is between Drew and me. No more talking," I bug my eyes out at her. "I have to get ready for my date with Quincy."

"I still can't believe you're going out with him."

"I gave him my word."

"I know, but he's white, Sid. Most black guys will see you being with him as an insult, including Drew."

"You act like I'm trying to marry him. I'm not."

"Well, when Drew sees him pulling up, he will have a heart attack."

"He won't see me."

"Oh really? Because the guys are outside playing football right now."

Oh, no... this can't be happening!

My plan is to slip out and back in before Drew notices. Racing over to my window I'm praying Patrice is wrong, but sure enough the street is littered with kids. I think about texting Quincy to cancel, but then I spot him talking to Drew. They both look over at my house at the same time, and I back away from the window so they can't see me.

I grab my purse and have Patrice walk me outside just in case I need her to run interference for me. Sure enough, both Drew and Quincy are walking up to my house once I reach the front door and my heart is thudding in my chest.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Drew asks.

He doesn't give me time to answer before he takes me by the hand over to the side of my house and sighs, "What are you doing? Are you really going out with him?" He asks, upset.

"It's nothing, Drew, I promise you. Besides, you see other people too, remember?"

"Yeah, black girls, Sid."

"Who cares what color he is?"

"I do. The only reason he wants you is because I have you. When they're not taking our swagger, our style or our music, they're after our women. You can't go out with Q."

"I'm not asking for your permission." I turn to leave.

He stops me. "If you leave with him, you'll be making me look stupid in front of everyone."