BREAKING ME

The few hours we have together went by fast and then Quincy has to go. He hugs me and I avoid his lips in case he gets any more bright ideas. Taking the short walk back to the loft, I make sure I'm not being followed, and Drew shows up ten minutes later. He's exhausted from basketball practice.

"Okay, being stuck at home alone sucks," I groan. "There's nothing to do here all day."

"That's what happens when you become a rebel without a cause," he laughs, kissing me on the lips. "You went to Starbucks?"

I follow his gaze over to the coffee cup on the kitchen counter. "Yeah, um, Quincy wanted to talk, so I had him meet me there after school."

Drew's head whips in my direction. He looks me over from head to toe. "Why would you want to see Quincy?" He asks.

"To settle things between us before I go back to Candor."

"What makes you think you're going back there?"

"Because Em told me my dad called them."

I won't tell him they're waiting for me to come home, because it doesn't matter. And I don't want Drew trying to jump through hoops to save me. He's already done enough for me.

"Look, we'll talk to your dad when you get home and we'll make him understand."

There will be no talking. As soon as I step foot on my front lawn, I'll be cuffed, and taken back to Candor...

Still, I can't tell him that. He'll go into protective mode and he won't understand.

"Okay," I flash him a fake smile.

Drew shows me how to make fried chicken, rice, and corn, and we eat like pigs. He's almost as good a cook as my mom. Almost. But I don't need to tell him that. His head is big enough as it is.

"Did Kim say anything to you today?" I ask.

"Yeah. She apologized to me for what went down and what's happened to you."

"Yeah right," I scoff. "She's just trying to get back into your good graces."

"Well, I believe her."

What? There's no way he could believe her. Kim's sole mission in life right now is to get him back. Once I'm successfully removed from the picture, I'm sure she'll be turning up the charm. And judging by the look on his face, he'll fall for it.

I want to yell at him for being stupid enough to think her apology has anything to do with her being sorry, because she's not. That girl is nothing but drama.

She isn't using her body or her brains to keep him compliant. She's manipulating him emotionally into dealing with her. She's playing the love-struck victim, catering to his ego, meanwhile, using it against him.

Damn... why didn't I think of that...?

In his mind he probably thinks she can't help but be so in love with him because he's THAT unforgettable.

He can be so narcissistic sometimes, I swear...

I want to tell him she's playing him, but once I leave for Candor, he'll be free to do whatever he wants, anyway. And for the second time I swallow my words.

Silently I watch him have this internal war with himself about it. Whether he should admit to me what I already know. That he and Kim will more than likely get back together once I'm gone.