Iron Fist

Josh finally comes strolling into the house an hour later and I glare at him. It doesn't take that long to take Trisha home. Whatever. I finish my dinner and head up to my room to shower and get ready for bed. I take a half an hour to do my homework, but I'm so tired I fall asleep in the middle of completing it.

Today is Friday, which means Drew and his parents are coming over for game night. My parents enjoy their company about as much as I enjoy Drew's.

"You up?" Em asks, coming by my room.

"If I wasn't, I am now." I groan from beneath the covers.

"Good. I have something I want to talk to you about." She replies, sitting on the edge of my bed.

Pulling the covers off and sitting up, I ask, "What is it?"

"Do you remember Mark Cooper?"

"Yes. He's that kid in your Brainiac club, isn't he?"

"Yes." She smiles.

"What about him?"

"We're sort of seeing each other and he's upset that I haven't introduced him to mom and dad yet." Em answers.

"OMG, you've had a boyfriend all this time and you haven't said anything to me!" I exclaim, shocked.

"Dad makes a big deal out of everything I do as long as it has something to do with academics, but what if he's not as supportive in my personal life?"

"There is no what if, he won't be," I scoff. "Look, do what's right for you, Em. Dad's looking out for you but sometimes things happen that are far beyond our control."

Like falling for your childhood best friend who is the king on campus and having him turn your whole life into a giant fairytale. Or at least a good book...

"Yes, like falling in love." She sighs.

"What are you two talking about?" Mom startles us both.

Abort conversation! ABORT!

"Nothing." We answer simultaneously.

Mom eyes us both suspiciously, then leaves the room, and we burst into laughter. I love my mom but confiding in her would mean confiding in my dad, which usually results in him ruling with an iron fist.

"How are things with Drew going?" Em asks.

"Well, Drew is Drew, and so far, I haven't found one thing I don't like about him."

We talk for a few more minutes, then Em and I head downstairs to eat breakfast. Josh sits across the table from us glaring at me and I know it's because Drew's coming over later.

After breakfast I head up to my room to busy myself with more schoolwork, killing time until Drew and his parents show up. My cell phone vibrates, and I smile when I see Drew's name on the caller ID.

"Hey."

"Hey, you," his voice sounds sexy even through the phone. "I can't wait to see you later."

"I know I can't wait to see you either." I smile like a complete spaz.

"What game are we playing tonight?"

"Mexican Train."

"Never heard of it." Drew laughs.

"You'll like it. It's fun."

"I'll take your word for it."

Grimacing, I tell him, "There's something I want to talk to you about."