THE RULES

I don't want to upset Drew, but now I'm upset. I don't want Kim anywhere near him and now she's going to the dance with him. This is the second time he's done this to me. But keeping him here won't help our situation. So, I let him go, and plop down on the couch next to Trisha who's due in a few months. Her belly button looks like an oven timer.

"You okay?" She asks.

"Not really."

"What happened?"

"The spring dance is coming up, so I started talking about what colors I think Drew and I should wear when he tells me he promised Kim he'd go with her. I feel like now that we're back together, he should go with me, but he doesn't want to go back on his word. And let's not forget he took Courtney to the last dance. I guess I'm just wondering when we're gonna go to a dance together."

"Wow. Honestly, I can see where you're both coming from. Drew's the guy who feels like his word means everything. But, if he shows up to the dance with Kim, it'll be the second time he's passed you over for someone else."

"Exactly! I tried telling him that and he got mad at me. It doesn't help that he knows how to manipulate me. And my first reaction is always to give in to make everything better."

"He's young, Sid, and he's a guy, so he will do a lot of stupid things and make a lot of stupid mistakes that you will have to live with."

"I just hate feeling this way. I don't understand why he can't just tell her he's going with me so we can go together. I've been looking forward to this dance for months now and..." I can't even finish my sentence, I'm getting so worked up.

"Welcome to the world of dating. It's where heartache is a part of everyday life. Oh, and let's not forget heartache's ugly sisters... disappointment, betrayal, and unfaithfulness." Trisha jokes, counting them off on her fingers.

I laugh and Trisha reaches out to hold my hand. I squeeze her hand, glad to have this moment with my BFF because sometimes I don't know what I'd do without her.

"You know, I don't know Drew, but the Sidney I know would go buy a fabulous dress to accentuate her already perfect body and make a certain someone regrets even thinking about taking another girl to the dance."

My lips curl up into a wicked grin. She knows me so well. "You want to help me pick out my dress?"

"I'd love to."

I ask my mom if we can go to the mall to pick out a dress for the spring dance and she says yes. We can't get out of there fast enough.

When we finally get to the mall it doesn't take long for me to find the perfect dress. It's a cute red dress that goes down to my knees. I pair it with a silver and rhinestone belt, and we find some shoes to go with it. Trisha agrees to help me with my hair when the day comes, and with all of my spring dance preparations complete, we finally head home.

Drew wanting to go with Kim instead of me really hurts me. When I get to school the next day, he's sitting out front with his friends talking to her AGAIN. I get halfway to where he is and stop. I don't want to pretend like I'm okay with it when I'm not, but I don't want to get into an argument with him in front of his friends either.

I head to class instead, but first, I stop by my locker to put away some of my books. When I close my locker Quincy nearly gives me a heart attack. He's just standing there LIKE A STALKER.

"Jesus Christ, Quincy! Don't do that!" I gasp.

"My bad. I just saw you walking and thought you might want company."