Smart Choices

Neither Drew nor I can keep our hands off each other the next day at school. My mind keeps going back to the night we spent together, which contributed to the bags under my eyes.

Word spread about our argument at the party and how upset Drew was that I gave Quincy my number. People I didn't even know weighed in on our relationship. I still can't believe he snatched my phone from me.

Then there's Quincy. Now that we've officially met, I see him everywhere. I think he's always been around. I just didn't notice him until that night. We even have second through fourth period together. I don't know how I missed him, or that he's on the basketball team with Drew. But now that I'm aware of him, I make it a point to say hi whenever I see him. I'm not trying to be rude like Drew would suggest, but I keep our conversation to a minimum. It still hasn't stopped people from talking and spreading rumors though.

"Is this seat taken?" Quincy asks, sitting down next to me.

"Um... no, but do you think that's a good idea?"

"Anything involving you could never be a bad idea." His lips curl into a heart-stopping smile.

Breathe Sidney, BREATHE!

"I can't sit next to you, Quincy. Drew will kill me."

"Okay." He nods and finds another seat.

PHEW...

That brief interaction was enough to capture inquiring eyes. People are watching us. They probably want something to report back to Drew, but I handled it. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I panic.

Did someone say something to him already? FML...

I pull out my phone, careful not to let Dr. Martin see me with it and press the home button. The text is from an unknown number and it just says 'hi'. As I'm trying to figure out who this could be, a second text comes in telling me how pretty I look today. I text back asking who my secret admirer is and when I receive a text back, I freeze. I slowly turn to the back of the class and even though his head is down, I can see that he's grinning from ear to ear. A fourth text comes in telling me to pay attention to the teacher and not my future husband. I can't stop the smirk spreading across my face and I laugh. I text him back asking him how he got my number again and when he texts back, I laugh again. Apparently, Drew erased it from his contacts, but not his call History.

He's had my number this whole time...

We exchange so many texts during class that I don't even remember what was being taught by the time the bell rang. "Save my number." He whispers to me as he walks by my desk.

I know I shouldn't, and I don't. After meeting Patrice at her locker, we meet up with Em and Trisha and head to the cafeteria.

"You and Drew have been two horny toads lately." Em sounds concerned.

"Don't worry, I'm not pulling a Josh," I assure her. "No offense Trisha."

"None taken." She laughs.

"There you are," Drew hooks his arm around my waist and drags me backwards back into the hall. "You ladies go ahead. Sid will catch up to you."

I wave goodbye to my friends as he whisks me away down the hall. I don't know where he's taking me, but I learned a long time ago not to protest.

We end up leaving campus with his friends and heading to 'In and Out Burger'. His team is there, which means Quincy is there too. Sure enough, a particular set of blue eyes I'd been trying to avoid since fourth period greets me outside of the restaurant. He's seated on one of the red benches outside.