Chapter 2 - Black Magic Woman

Buttons were clacking under the aggressive panic of Eldrian's thumbs and fingers as the plumber jumped and jumped over hordes of terrifying fungus monstrosities. Suspenders weren't much to wear on the battlefield, but the little man pushed forward. That is, until his life came to an untimely end meeting a sharp-toothed flower protruding from a pipe.

"Aah! Damn it it all. Where'd that thing even come from?" Eldrian cursed as he dropped the controller to his knees.

The two of them sat on the cream-coloured carpet of Kevin's bedroom. A forty-inch CRT television rested on the stand in front of them, plugged into an old gaming console. The sad words of, "Game Over" were present on the screen at this moment.

"I thought you were a wizard," muttered Kevin sarcastically.

"First of all, I'm going to turn you into a frog. Second of all, don't say that out loud. I'm probably already going to pay for what I did last night. Someone somewhere is going to have my butt on a platter, whether that's the government, or a friend. I'm not sure which is better."

"Sorry, Eldrian. That whole thing was my fault."

"No, no. It wasn't. Don't start saying that. I jumped in, and not only that, but I admit I kind of over-did it. I could have solved that problem while hiding and they'd never have known. I can't help but be a little..."

"Flamboyant?"

"All wizards are flamboyant."

"Didn't you just tell me to stop calling you that in case someone hears?"

Eldrian sighed. "I hate hiding. I've done it for a couple decades. Thank goodness there's others like me or I'd feel really lonely."

"Hey. I don't understand any of this in the slightest, but what I saw last night was something outstanding. Lightning from your hands, teleporting, changing clothes on a whim... and don't forget that I'm your friend, even if I'm just ordinary."

"Thanks, Kev."

"Uh. Eldrian? Can you actually turn someone into a frog?"

"Nah. That's more of a witch or warlock thing. You know, the darker magics. I guess you don't know. Just take everything I saw as the absolute truth and you'll be fine."

"That sounds incredibly not good for me."

Eldrian pointed to his own chin. "I like the goatee you're growing though, Kev. It fits. And with your long hair, you look like some kind of tangerine samurai."

Kevin smiled. Lost for a moment in his own vanity, he looked away and scratched his head. "Thanks! I've actually been taking sword-fighting class. Wait. Tangerine samurai? What the hell does that mean?"

But when he looked back, Eldrian had disappeared. His eyes spun around the room to find his wizard companion looking over the shelves besides his bed. They had an assortment of comic books and small figurines. Kevin stood up and clicked off the television.

"Hey! Don't just wizard away like that."

"What is this here?" Eldrian placed his fingers over a wooden carving.

It looked like it was made by a child's hands. The snout of the animal was a little bit shorter than it should be, and one eye was larger than the other. It's the thought that counts, anyway. If it has love, it can lack in everything else. It was only the head of a creature as well—a moose.

Eldrian looked surprised.

"Careful with that." He put a hand on the wizard's shoulder and nudged him away. "Sorry. It's just that it means a lot to me. My father gave it to me. See, he made it for his own dad once a really long time ago. When my grandpa passed away, he gave this to me. My dad wouldn't accept it... He said he'd never accept back a gift like that. It was for his dad."