Chapter 32 - Heaven and Hell

"No way," Deena mumbled. "This is highly improbable."

"That's my speciality," Eldrian replied.

Standing before the two of them, as well as Kevin, was a gorgeous figure almost divine in appearance. Her skin was pristine, she had a gaze like vibrant emeralds, and her hair was golden and lengthy. Unlike before, she was now garbed in traditional North American attire instead of torn fantastical garments—a lime coloured shirt beneath a thin white coat, and a pair of blue jeans. Through her hair was a ribbon to match her eyes as well. To a normal individual, she would look to simply be a lovely young lady, if it wasn't for her long and pointed ears.

She smiled. It was a warm, subtle smile, and such an expression was commonly on her face. Perhaps it didn't represent a concurrent joy, but instead an offering of friendliness to those around her.

Once again, they were in Deena's living room.

"You actually ran into an elf?" Deena asked.

"Of course. She was running into some trouble last night on the street. Safety-wise, though, I think she was handling herself. But she looked confused and lost, so I thought I oughta help," Eldrian said in return. "This morning we went out and bought her some regular clothes."

"I'll be ever grateful," the elf spoke with a bow of her head.

"It's not a problem, really."

"Though it will take some take to get used to these new vestments. They don't quite feel the same, and definitely don't look the same, as what I'm accustomed to. I'll do my best to adjust during my time here, however."

"So you said your name was Arlandria?" asked Kevin. "My name's Kevin O'Brien, but I'm afraid I'm not a wizard like the rest of these folks."

"Interesting. It was my understanding that Earthlings were in denial about the existence of magic, so much so that it was separated from the common folk. But not only are you here, but there are two magic users as well."

"Two more," Eldrian added. "There's five of us in total now. You're the sixth while you stick around."

Kevin stared intently at the woman's pointed ears. So much so, that after a moment, he realised not only the absence of noise, but the direct contact of her vision to his own. A colour come to his face as he snapped himself back into reality, but her face showed only an affectionate smile from cheek to cheek.

"I've never seen a human in person either," Arlandria said softly.

"Me neither!" said Kevin. "I mean... I haven't seen an elf. I've seen humans."

"I don't think any of us has seen an elf," Eldrian said. "They're so incredibly rare, that even wizards can go their entire lives without seeing one. Unlike demons, which try to work their way to Earth all the time, elves apparently prefer to stay where they're from."

"Heaven, I think humans often call it," she stated.

Deena nodded, and she raised a hand to the shock seen in Kevin's visage. "Also known as the Elf World, which is basically the opposite of the Demon World. I've read that because of all this, elves have even been called angels by a few people."

"So what brings you here then?" asked Kevin.

Her vast emeralds drifted sombrely to the floor between her toes. Hidden thoughts of clear melancholy read on her face even if nothing was spoken, either by struggle against emotion, or trust.

"All she told me was a really bad person tried to kill her, but she survived and escape to our world instead," Eldrian spoke up.

Arlandria nodded. "I'm afraid I'm at a loss of what to do next. I was going to find my way back to the Elf World, but the more I ponder, the more I realize that the ending may not be different a second time. My father likely thinks I'm dead if he's yet to find me."