Chapter 80 - Dirty Deeds

Hours had passed since the incident in Spokane. Not a single person within the city retained their memory of the demon attack. In fact, a different thought supplanted the original, which was a tale spun by the government to once again cover up the existence of magic on Earth. They would possibly go on with their entire lives believing a powerful storm came through the city, and emergency teams were already on-scene to help those in need.

That was far away, however. Whitfield stood by a sharp-dressed older gentleman with peppered hair and a goatee, sitting behind a desk covered in papers. There were no windows, and the specific location was entirely unknown to others. They could have been across the planet, underground, or beyond.

The third being in the room was the one that hadn't a clue, as her fuzzy bat body was helplessly blinded by the big she was placed within. Whitfield placed it down in the center of the room and undid the string that held it closed. The material fell loose to reveal Anzu's avatar, messenger, and whatever else one would like to call it. They both shared her purple lips, but it was otherwise entirely different from her normal body. And it was laying motionless.

"Wake up, demon," Whitfield commanded, and stomped his food hard against the solid ground.

Its eyes slowly peered open. "Don't speak to me in such a tone. I'm well older than either of you, and you kept me waiting for hours. Hours."

"This here is a private base. No demon can know where it truly is, that's for sure. Now show some manners, and look at the man behind the desk." He followed his own advice. "Sorry, sir."

Her eyes turned to the other gentleman. In addition to dressing formal, he had a firm square jaw and wide shoulders, as well as numerous badges down his breast. Both of his hands were gloved. Her wings started flapping, and she levitated up into the air to meet his gaze.

"I trust you know who I am," she spoke.

"I do. The current lord of your Demon World, Satan, has four daughters. You're one of them. I believe we had an agreement long ago not to have your kind investing our world, and yet it continues to be a problem. So what kind of balls do you have, ma'am, do attack one of my cities, and expect to not be hunted down with every last resource we have?" His hand slammed down on his desk with incredibly might. "Your damn lucky people showed up to help, because we ended up catching a couple in the process."

"I wished to gain the attention of the one in charge of this country's magic hunters. Would you be him?"

He stood and stared down his nose toward her. "I oversee the FBI Arcana Branch. Executive Assistant Director Jarred Gravett. If you wanted to speak to the man in charge, you're doing it. You know, if you weren't royalty, your little winged form would already be crushed. Does your father know you're here?"

"He doesn't. That's why I wished to speak with you. As you know, a barrier keeps my kin from merely pouring through to Earth, and I understand why my father would wish this to be the case. But something he is not, is proactive. He doesn't see the potential in going further. We have so much to offer a place such as your country."

"What could you possibly offer?"

"You shouldn't need me to spell it out for you, Director. I'm a princess of a world filled with powerful magic creatures. I've seen your world. It's almost as chaotic as mine. National security is such a concern that I was easily able to do all that I have already. Do you think that, forever, countries elsewhere will sit idly by and never go beyond?"

"You should know better than most that there's always a magic war beneath everybody's feet."

"This is something better. Though all countries have their own wizards doing their bidding, how many do you think have demons?"