Chapter 34 - Learn to Adapt

Few can explain the intense feeling during a moment of indecisiveness in a simple and short description, especially when the light of attention is shining directly towards you. Your body feels hot, and your stomach uneasy. There feels as if a real weight is pushing down on your shoulders—one made of the impatience of others, whether it truly exists or is a figment of your own imagination.

"I-I just don't know," stuttered Arlandria. "I need more time."

Eldrian patted her on the back. "Don't worry. I'm here to help you."

The two of them, along with Kevin, stared up at the menu board above the cash registers. Burgers, wraps, drinks, meals, sides, and more, filled the list of selections, and besides a few others sitting at tables, the place was basically empty.

"What's a hamburger?" she asked.

"You don't have hamburgers?" Kevin replied.

"No. It looks good, I guess, but why are there so many different kinds? Sorry... I'm making things difficult."

"It's all right," Eldrian assured. "I'm going to order the one with bacon and a cola. That's my favourite thing to have when I do come here."

"All right. Well, I'll have that too! And this place is interesting. The golden arches outside kind of remind me of home." She nodded.

"I'll have the same," Kevin spoke.

Eldrian offered a thumbs up. "Perfect. How about I order, and you guys go find a place to sit?"

The two of them agreed, and Kevin brought his elven companion over towards a corner seat, so they proceeded to sit. Arlandria shuffled around in her seat. Eventually, she seemed to relax, but her eyes watched everyone who walked by on the street with great interest.

"So, how are you adjusting?" Kevin asked.

"These chairs are very uncomfortable, and it smells funny in here, but I don't mind. The people, and the sights, are so fascinating. So new. It's similar in some ways, but also vastly different in others, to my homeland. I have Eldrian to thank. I don't know where I would have ended up otherwise."

"I'd probably be carving wooden moose heads."

"What's a moose?"

"Here we are!" announced Eldrian as he came over with trays in his arms.

He placed each one down, and afterwards, sat beside his best friend—eager to begin eating. All three of them unwrapped their burgers and started to dine. Lucky for them, it was an odd time in the middle of the day, so there were no crowds to bother them. They still spoke quietly, however, as to not arouse suspicion.

Arlandria offered a strange expression when swallowing down the food. She licked her lips, and then lowered her face down to sniff the mug of bubbling pop. It wasn't a face of disgust, but she was clearly in deep thought about numerous things.

"It tastes good," she said. "But it makes me feel kind of gross."

"Sounds about right," replied Kevin.

Eldrian nodded. "Yep. It does."

Kevin then turned to Eldrian and asked, "Do you think it's all right to have her ears sticking out like that? They aren't huge or anything, but it still looks like she's cosplaying or something."

"So what?" Eldrian responded. "That's a fine enough cover. Right, Arly?"

She perked up. "Arly? I've never been called that before. And I don't see anything wrong with dressing up. Eldrian told me people do it for things called conventions all the time. I'd like to go to one sometime."