Chapter 54 - Marquis de Jackson

Poppet made her way back home, clutching her injured shoulder, but her scowl outweighed the throbbing pain. Yet again, she was betrayed by Tyreth, and yet again, she was defeated by Eldrian and Deena. It made her even more upset when she thought about the amulet she lost several days back. Would she ever find it again? That terrifying skeleton walked off with it, and she hasn't heard anything since.

The artifact itself was only supposed to allow the user to puppet bodies with one's mind. The fact that one got up, spoke, and tried to tear her head off, baffled her. She needed to find out more, and with Tyreth out of the picture yet again, she swung upon the front door of her home without even realizing it was ajar.

"Hey. I'm home, Alchia. Are you?" she called out.

There was no answer. Poppet walked through the kitchen, down the halls, and peered into every room, before coming to a horrible conclusion. A glass was broken on the floor, and spilled, and there were even more signs of a struggle. Things were broken and knocked over, and it all led to the front door.

"Alchia! Where are you?" she called once again. "What happened in here?"

But there was nobody home.

***

"So what do you have to say to the crime in this city, Mr. Jackson?" the reporter asked.

Cameras were rolling. Noah was on the streets, garbed as usual, and his natural charisma shone like his blonde hair and smooth skin were actually illuminating a gorgeous glow. Ladies screamed in excitement, and maybe even a couple gentleman.

"I say that justice always prevails," he said with a wink to the camera.

"Well said. I'd expect nothing less from the great Noah Jackson. Do you have any secret investigations going on right now, may I ask?"

Noah chuckled. "Of course. But I can't share that kind of information. I assure you that it's incredibly important, and it's much of the reason I was sent here to begin with. Soon it'll be dealt with, so don't worry, citizens. I'm here to protect you."

"Excellent to hear. I know I'll sleep more comfortably knowing experts are here to deal with our troubles. Back to you in the studio... and wonderful. We got some nice shots, I think."

"Fantastic. I'll be off now," Noah said, and waved his hand briefly as he turned to depart.

A charming smile remained on his face as he left, and the roar of screaming fans gradually softened behind him. He made his way out of sight, and from there, he opened a door to a place much different. It was a small building in a location unknown.

He tapped his umbrella melodically over his shoulder as he made his way down the hall, and eventually to a door in which he opened. There was a woman waiting for him inside. This time, it wasn't a groupie.

Her hair, still dyed purple, was a frizzled mess at this time. It wasn't because she had a shower before bed. Her body was bruised and beaten, and by her ankles and wrists, she was hanged from the wall of a horrifying torture-chamber-like room. Tiny points within the manacles dug into her flesh, and they did even moreso when she struggled to escape. Alchia was his captive this time.

Beside her was a boarded-up wall where perhaps another set of manacles once hung. She wondered what happened.

She peered around the room to see depressing, damp walls, and tables covered in various tools. She realised quickly that only some of them were used to repair the wall, while the others were stained in shades of red. Her breathing quickened as her situation sunk in. When she saw Noah yet again, her eyes widened, and she took a sharp inhale.