Chapter 14 - Elixir Unleashed

With the sun disappearing behind the flat landscape of a white Alberta ground, Deena stood ready several meters from the warehouse that Kevin was supposedly being held. She wasn't alone either. On her shoulder was a rat, but it was no ordinary rodent, as the rat's form was not long ago that of a handsome young man. Daveon, in his animal form, joined Deena in looking over the vacant side wall. It was time to move.

"So this is the place," said the rat. "If you can get me inside, I'll look around and see what we're dealing with here. They might not even know who I am in the first place, but in this form, they definitely won't suspect a thing. Look up there. I see a vent I can fit through."

"Try not to die," Deena replied.

"That's usually the plan, yeah. Thanks. Just float me up there and I'll hopefully return with something helpful."

She nodded. There was hardly effort required to levitate such a small critter up through the air and into the vent near the warehouse's roof. The rat scurried inside, and disappeared from Deena's view.

Daveon's tiny feet skittered along the ground as he made his way through tight passages and crevices within the workings of such an old, worn building. It wasn't long before he found his way into the main room. From near the ceiling, he gazed down at only two figures—Kevin and a large, hairless brute. The taller man looked incredibly odd, but it was difficult to see more through the cloud rising from the brute's cigar.

Their companion Kevin was tied to a chair. No matter how much he struggled, the ropes holding him there were fastened too well by a series of devious knots.

"I can't believe it. You really are him, aren't you?" uttered Kevin beneath his breath. "You're one of the guys that attacked me that night. You look different now though. Why won't you say anything!"

Finally Ron let out an irritated sigh. His gaze turned to Kevin, causing the smoke from his lungs to force itself into the boy's face. He snorted.

"Shut up. You're only here because of that Eldrian guy. He humiliated us."

"You don't know what he is. He'll do what he did last time, so why are you even bothering?"

"I said shut up!" he shouted as he smacked Kevin with incredibly power with the back of his hand. A red mark burned on the side of his face. "I know enough of what he is. I don't really care, to be honest. I just wanna kill him. Thanks to his weird power I was given, I can do just that. You and your wizard buddy don't stand a chance."

"You know about wizards? Are you one of those... spellbreaker things Eldrian talked about?"

"I'm just a guy who's pissed off. One more word out of you, and I'm knockin' you out again."

Both of their attentions were stolen by the sound of a clap against the stone floor at their left. They turned, and to their surprise, Daveon was standing not far from them with a serious expression. Kevin couldn't tell where he came from, but the sight of a familiar face lit up his eyes.

"So you've got a weird power?" Daveon asked. "Let me see it."

Ron cracked his knuckles. A strange, putrid grin pinched the cigar between his teeth, and he began stepping casually towards the druid with little hesitation.

"You one of Eldrian's friends? He's got a bunch of those, apparently," the brute sneered.

Without responding, Daveon threw forward his hand, and from it came a lasso made completely of a sturdy vine. It wrapped around Ron's neck. But as he did, Ron grabbed the vine and squeezed it with intense pressure, and he jerked his wrist to toss both the lasso and Daveon off to the side.