Chapter 65 - Skin and Bones

Once again, the crew sat around Deena's home in an eager interim but it was one of leisure, as many of the stresses that plagued them had faded compared to the previous days. Eldrian had explained to them to the best of his ability what occurred that day. He said that his focus simply clicked, and he used the intense powers of the Ley Point to send Tyreth back from whence he came, but much of it was a blur.

Not only did he see the man and woman rise from the dead, but his vision was torn beyond comprehension of his own reality. He saw the front of his head before his own eyes, like a shadow casting forward, and he decided that maybe his memories of the event were skewed do to himself simply being unable to understand.

Arlandria finally approached them with her hands crossed politely in front of her waist. While they expected to see her garbed once more in her elven attire, she was wearing Earthen clothes instead.

"Eldrian and I spoke to my father," she explained. "He thought I was dead... but I think he just wanted to know I was alive, and happy. It took some convincing. Finally he decided that it was all right for me to stay here, with all of you."

The group cheered.

"That's wonderful to hear," Daveon replied.

"Are you sure it's going to be safe?" Deena spoke. "I doubt the hunters would look kindly on an elf, just the same as wizards."

Arlandria nodded. Around her neck was a fine gold chain that ended with a pendant embossed with a sun, which was previous tucked down to be hidden within the dangerous, forbidden area within her shirt. When she brought her hands beside it, the sun sparked, and her ears appeared to retreat into her hair to shape into a more human design.

"This only works for a certain amount of time per day," she said as she looked to her surprised audience. "And that's all right with me. It feels weird."

"You still have an inhuman beauty and grace," Eldrian said as he stroked his chin.

Deena turned deadpanned to face him. "What about Renatta and I? We don't?"

"Oh uh. That's not what I meant! You're both beautiful. I just meant that—"

Daveon raised one hand and shook his head. "There's no spell that'll recover you from that."

"Aw. You said we were beautiful," hummed Renatta as she gave Eldrian a sudden squeezing embrace, as if she appeared next to him by magic. Actually, she did.

Eldrian laughed nervously. "I'm still beat, and it's been a couple days. But Tyreth is apparently locked up, and with the Ley Point occurring like once a billion years or whatever, I think we're safe to take a breath."

"And the hunters can not get us here. Right, Deena?" Renatta asked.

The witch nodded.

"Well, I have a surprise then too. Deena, I know you're not super into having people in and out of your house, and if Arly ever needs to go anywhere, she needs to ask you, since you don't have a front door," Eldrian explained. "The gold we got set us up for a long time, as long as we keep living in a small place, and keep things simple. But we have some to spare. I thought maybe you and Renatta could share a place, if that sounds good for you."

Kevin peered over at Daveon and muttered, "How do you stay so handsome and charming when you live in the woods?"

"What was that?" the druid asked.

"Nothing!"

"That sound wonder—Ah!" Arlandria started before being hugged by Renatta, also suddenly appearing by magic.